Chapter 59: The Return of The Avatar

Y/N's P.O.V

It's been a couple of hours since Kuvira came here with her deal.

Suyin is still trying to decide on the next course of action.

I get the feeling she's not gonna give into Kuvira's demands.

Just then doors open and I look up to see Jinora, Ikki and Meelo with Korra.

I stand up.

Y/N: Korra?

She looks at me and smiles.

Korra: Y/N. Hey. I almost didn't recognise you.

Suyin: Korra?

She goes over and hugs her.

Suyin: I can't believe it. Where have you been?

Y/N: That's a good question.

Suyin: You disappeared. Everyone was so worried.

Korra: I'll tell you all the whole story later. Right now I wanna help you stop Kuvira. What can I do?

Suyin: Let's talk outside.

Suyin leaves the room with Korra.

Opal comes over and puts her hand on my shoulder.

Opal: Are you okay?

I sigh.

Y/N: Yeah, I'm good. I knew I'd see her again. I just didn't think it would happen here of all places.

Opal: She seemed happy to see you. That's something, right? Maybe that means there's something still there.

Y/N: I don't know what it means, Opal. I'm not the same person I used to be. Neither is Korra by the looks of things.

I shake my head.

Y/N: My love life isn't the priority right now, Opal. We've got bigger things to deal with.

I then leave the room.

(Two hours later)

Right now I'm walk around Zaofu to clear my head. 

Just then I overhear Korra talking with Su.

Suyin wants her to destroy Kuvira's army with the Avatar State, but Korra won't do it.

After Su leaves I go to talk to her.

Y/N: (Whispers) Well, this is gonna be awkward.

I go round the corner and see Korra standing by the water.

She turns to see me.

Korra: Hey, Y/N.

Y/N: Hey. It's... it's good to see you.

Korra: You too. You look great.

Y/N: Thanks, you too. I like your new hair.

She smiles.

Korra: Thank you. I like your new hair too, it suits you. And so does the stubble. You look handsome.

I smile.

Y/N: Thank you. Just tryin' something new with both.

Korra: Cool.

We both sigh.

Y/N & Korra: Look, I...

We chuckle.

Korra: You go first.

Y/N: Sure.

I sigh.

Y/N: Look, I know there's probably some big, emotional conversation we're supposed to have, but right now I think we should hold off on that.

Korra: Oh, okay...

Y/N: I mean with everything going on, I think we both need to stay focused.

She nods.

Korra: Yeah... you're right. We can talk later.

Y/N: Okay, cool. I just wanted us to be on the same page. Oh and I overheard your talk with Su. I think you're right. In this situation talking might be the best idea. We can stop all this before it gets worse.

Korra: I'm glad you agree.

Y/N: I do, which is why I'm going with you to talk to Kuvira tomorrow. If that's okay.

Korra: Yeah, of course. It'd be nice to have back-up just in case something goes wrong.

Y/N: Okay, great. I'll see you in the morning.

Korra: Yeah, okay.

I go to walk away.

Korra: Y/N?

I stop.

Korra: I really missed you.

I lower my head.

Y/N: I missed you too, Korra. I gotta go.

I quickly walk away.

Korra's P.O.V

Y/N walks away and I have a pit in my stomach. I feel awful.

I know I broke his heart with that letter. I just knew if I tried to do it in person, I wouldn't be able to go through with it.

He's all I thought about while I was gone.

Part of me was hoping he'd come here to tell me he loves me. I was close to telling him that I still love him.

I sigh.

Korra: (Whispers) I'm sorry, Y/N. I still love you.

(The next day)

Y/N's P.O.V

Korra and I are at the Earth Empire camp to talk to Kuvira.

Baatar Jr takes us to her.

Baatar Jr: We have two unexpected guests. The Avatar and Air Master Y/N are here to see you.

She turns and comes over to us.

Kuvira: Korra, it's an honor to see you again. Last I heard, you were still healing in the South Pole.

Korra: Well, I'm feeling much better now.

Kuvira: That's wonderful news.

She looks at me.

Kuvira: And Air Master Y/N, I was surprised to see you here, but it's not an unwelcomed one.

Y/N: I'm just here to help things go peaceful, Kuvira. That's all.

Kuvira: I appreciate that. Now, why are you here?

Korra: I'm here to ask you to back down. Please, take your army and leave.

Kuvira: I think we both know that's not going to happen.

Korra: I can't let you take Zaofu.

Y/N: We can't.

Kuvira: Look, I was tasked with bringing stability to the Earth Kingdom. Zaofu is the last holdout. Why should I treat it differently than any other state?

Y/N: Because Su took you in. Zaofu is your home, Kuvira.

Korra: And because what you're doing isn't right.

Kuvira: I understand the both of you are just trying to do Su a favor, but you can't come to me as I'm on the verge of reuniting my nation and tell me to stop. The world was descending into chaos while you were gone, Korra. So, in order to fix it, I had to make some tough decisions.

Korra: I know what that's like. I've had plenty of people mad at me for decisions that I've made.

She comes forward.

Kuvira: Exactly. Korra, if you really want to help, go back to Su and try talk some sense into her. Let's call a temporary truce. I won't make any moves until you talk to her and get back to me.

Korra nods.

Korra: Maybe that will be for the best.

After that Korra and I head back into Zaofu.

I just hope this works.

This might be the only way to make sure there's no bloodshed.