chapter 5

The deep was standing next to a massive water tank, filled with fish and other living things and even an octopus.

"Oh wow!" I said and approached the colorful tank.

"Cool, huh?" He said and sounded like a twelve year old showing off his toys.

"Yeah, but like.... shouldn't they be free? Isn't that what you stand for?" I asked, and his smile dropped quickly.

"Yes! But, you see. There guys here, they are like really close friends. And I kinda rescued them. Most of them were injured, and I nursed them back to health." He explained and looked deep into the tank.

I could hear some blubbs and other small noises coming from the tank and deep tried to whisper, but my super hearing let me hear him anyway.

"Stop arguing. We both know you'd been served with rice ages ago if I hadn't noticed you."
His whispers went on for a bit, and it was rather amusing.

"I didn't know you could talk to them." I admitted curiously.

"Ah. Yeah. Well, one of the perks of being the deep, I guess." He said awkwardly.

"What else can you do?" I asked without thinking.

"Whatever you want, y/n." He said in a low voice, almost only a hush.

".... alright. I gotta go." I said and tried to flee, but he caught up with me.

"I'm kidding!" He said as he jumped in front of me, waving his hands around. "I can talk to all kinds of sea creatures. I can also breathe underwater. And yeah, that's about it." He said and exhaled.

"Okay... we'll see each other. I'm sure of it." I said and quickly exited. Even though I was curious about his powers, he was kind of creepy.

As soon as I exited his apartment, my new phone dinged.
And a text from Starlight appeared.
*Hey. Got some appointments. Need you, sry!*

I quickly replied
*On my way!*

And then power walked to Starlight's apartment. I knocked and waited, after a clear sign to enter, I opened the door.