chapter 73

Homelander took me by my waist, and I held onto him.
In a matter of seconds, we were sky high. Soaring above the city.

"I'm gonna speed up. Hold on tight, birdy." He said.

Once we landed, I laughed again, and he looked dumbfounded. "What is it?" He asked.

"Birdy." I laughed. "Am I birdy?"

"Of course." He replied simply.

"Why am I birdy?" I asked again.

"Come on. Red Canary is way too long." He chuckled. "And it sounds more personal.

"You know my name, don't you." I sighed happily.

"Birdy is much more intimate. Is it not?" He asked with a smug grin. "My little birdy."

"It is." I admitted. "But I haven't come up with one for you. I mean, I don't even know your real name... all I have is Homelander..." I sighed.

"You have me. Not just Homelander. I'm your boyfriend." He said hurt. "Am I not?" He fhen asked in a small voice.

"Of course you are. I just meant that I have not come up with anything for you. Nothing as intimate. I mean, all I have in my head are loving nicknames, but I want more for you." I admitted, and he smiled softly.

"John." He said. "My name is John."

"And your last name's smith?" I laughed, but he seemed upset. "I'm sorry. What I meant was that John suits you. Fits the whole American hero thing." I tried to save. "Born to be America's hero."

"True. It's actually Gillman. Birdy." He said, his head held high. "Now. Let's get back to what we were doing."

"Yes. So where are we..." I said as I looked around and realized where we were.

"Paris." John answered and smiled.

"We're in paris. You flew us to paris." I said excitedly.

"And now. We'll go get hot chocolate! The Parisians know how to make a good hot chocolate. Come on. I'll show you where I always go." He said and took my hand.

He guided me through the crowded streets, way too fast for anyone to properly recognize him. We ended up in a small ally. Looked like an old patisserie. The shop was small but filled to the brim with chocolates and parfaits and other delicious goodies.

John tapped the little bell on the counter, and an old man hurried out, and once he saw John's face, he smiled.

"You are back again, sir. Gokd to see you. And you have brought a friend." The old man said in broken english as he gestured to me.

"Yes. You know I can't resist your sweets for too long." He said and laughed. The man gestured to one og the tables and returned to the back.

John and I sat down, and while I stared in awe at the sheer amount of sweets, he stared at me.