chapter 57

Homelander took a couple of sharp breaths, suggesting he wanted to say something, but he didn't.
We ate quietly. The sound of the scraping silverware made me feel as if my head was about to pop off.

"So. You invited me because you wanted to talk over the offer? I asked, trying to mute the other sounds.

"Why? Is there anything else you thought needed to be addressed?" She asked with a fake smile.

"No." I replied quickly.

"Good." She nodded, "Let's move on to desert!" She added with an energetic clap and stood from the table.

I looked over at Homelander, who was looking right back at me.
"What is it?" I asked carefully.
But before he answered, Madelyn returned with fancy desert bowls.
We ate, thanked her for the dinner, and said our goodbyes.

"Think it over." She sighed with a dull smile as she closed the door.

"Want me to take you back?" Homelander asked, not very enthusiastic.

"That would be nice." I said and smiled. He grabbed me by my waist, and we flew up. "Are you okay?" I asked him, unsure if he'd hear me.

"Am I really a bad boss?" He asked. I heard him loud and clear. As if the wind wasn't slapping me in the face.

"I never said you are? Why do you ask that?" I asked and hugged onto him as he stopped midair.

"Of course not. You're a loyal little sheep. You wouldn't want to get on my bad side." He said angrily.

"I might be loyal, but I'm not a sheep. If I had a problem with you I'd tell you." I said sternly. "I like working for you. You might be a little unusual sometimes, but that's nothing I can't handle." I added and smiled into his chest.
We continued our way to the tower, and as we landed in his apartment, he didn't let go of me. Instead, he hugged me tightly.