chapter 80

"Good meeting everyone!" Homelander concluded. "But I'd like you to stay for a second more." He added before anyone could flee.
"Ashley." He sighed. "You're excused." She nodded and practically ran out of the room. The door almost squishing her as they closed.

"Since Siren over here used to be beneath you. I'd like to have you all give an actual welcome. This team is like a family to me, and you know that. So, there should not be any conflict." John explained. It was surprisingly soft, and he seemed almost vulnerable for a minute.

"Oh. I thought this was an elite group and not an excuse to keep you fucktoy close to you." Maeve scoffed.
The heads snapped in her direction. John's smile vanished.

"Maeve." I said obviously hurt.

"Everyone is thinking it." She spat.

"Speak for yourself!" Deep yelled.

"And what about translucent? Remember him? Sure, he was an ass, but he was part of this 'family' if that's what you like to call this." Maeve shouted as she stood up.

"Maeve, I thought this would go smoother. Honestly, but if you want to make this more difficult, then it has to be fine." He said and stood up as well.

"No. You stay the fuck away from me. I know that look!" She yelled and took a defensive stand.

"Maeve. Calm down." A-Train tried to reason.

"No. Fuck you." She spat at him which was enough distraction for Homelander to get closer.
He grabbed her shoulders and made her look at him.

"If you're not gonna get along, you'll join translucent. And I know that you can guess where he ended up." He whispered to her, and her heart began to speed up. "You were once very dear to me. But if you can't accept that my heart now belongs to someone else, we're gonna have a problem."

"I'm not fucking interested in you. NARSASITIC ASSHOLE." She screamed, and without a second glance, he dislocated her shoulder and pushed her head against the table.
Starlight winced as the crunching of bones echoed through the room.

"Maeve. I don't want to hurt you. Now go calm down." He said and let go of her.
She hurried out of the room without a second look at anyone.