chapter 35

As soon as I closed her door, I wanted to run back in. I could hear her cries behind me, but I didn't dare go back in.

"She'll calm down soon." I heard from across the hallway. It was Maeve.
"She's really sensitive. So don't blame yourself." She said and asked if I wanted to come in.

Once inside, she plopped on her couch. I stood in front of her and waited, but she didn't offer me a seat.
"I shouldn't have been so insensitive." I said, and Maeve huffed.

"Well, tell me. What happened." She said and patted the place next to her.

"Why are you interested in that?" I asked, and she rolled her eyes.

"If I don't do at least a little bit of social interaction, I might lose all of my empathy." She said, and I wasn't sure if she meant that or not.

I sat down next to her and began to talk.

"Sounds like you had a crush on him." She said and scrunched up her nose in disgust.

"Whatever it was. I hope it's over now." I said and exhaled deeply.

"It better be. You caught Homelanders eye. We can't afford to lose another supe." She said and huffed.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"Oh, come on! I thought you're smart." She said and chuckled. "You've been here for less than a week, and he already claimed you to be his PA." She said and raised an eyebrow.

"Oh. I thought that the PA sorting was always done like that." I admitted.

Maeve groaned. "Also. I think deep might have a crush on you as well. Now that I think about it." She said, and my eyes widened.

"What do you mean!" I asked quickly.

"Wasn't it his idea to keep you here?" She asked and laughed. "He's gonna die."

"Why??" I asked concerned.

"Y/n. Are you or are you not stupid?" She asked, annoyed. "If Homelander has his mind set on something, he isn't gonna let it go." She said sternly.

"But I'm not a something!" I protested.

"In this case. You are." She laughed sarcastically. "Keep everyone you care about at distance and even those who care about you. He doesn't like sharing. I should know." She said bitterly.

"What did he do?" I asked carefully, not to upset her like I did with Starlight.

"None of your business." She sighed. "Now go. I don't wanna get into trouble for talking to his favorite toy." She remarked with a tastless laugh, and I left.