chapter 42

We sat in silence. Eating the high-quality food that some renowned cook had made especially for Homelander.

"This is really good." I said after taking a sip from my glass.

"Ah. Yes, I too enjoy a good ol' glass of water." He said with a sly grin.

"You know what I mean." I said and smiled at him.

"You know, y/n." He started, and I set down my cuttlery to properly focus on him. He looked at me intently but didn't say continue his sentence.

"Sir?" I asked, and his lips pressed into a line.

"Forget it." He said with a huff. Homelander seemed annoyed, almost angry even. I decided to leave it alone and get back to eating.
The silence felt suffocating, and soon enough, the scraping of cuttlery on the plates and the noises we both made while eating was getting under my skin.

"I'm truly honored you wanted me to eat with you." I said, trying to focus on anything else. But he didn't respond.
"This has been lovely. However, the lack of sound is getting a bit much. As you do not seem to be in the mood for talking, I should take my leave." I said and carefully pushed back my chair.

I almost fell when I heard the sound coming from Homelander's side of the table. I covered my ears and looked over to him, fighting the urge to close my eyes.
His plate was broken, just like all the other fragile items on his side. Shards of ceramics and glass littering the table as far as I could see.
"Is that a better sound then?" He yelled, his face contorted into an angry grimace.

I slowly put my hands down and stared at him. "Not at all!" I said loudly, trying to keep my voice down. I continued my way out of his apartment without as much as a glance at his face.