chapter 40

Homelander didn't watch me get dressed like he did when I undressed.
"Is there anything else I can help you with, sir?" I asked respectfully.

"I'll text you later." He replied, annoyed. With the feeling of having done something to upset him, I left.
I went back to my apartment. To my surprise, the mess I had made the night before was gone. Everything was clean.
I figured I had the privilege of a room cleaning service, which was odd, but welcome nevertheless.
I decided to make myself a light meal and change into a nicer outfit. It actually didn't take nearly as long as I thought. Now I was ready, but there was still time until I had to go over to Homelander's apartment. I tried to keep a cool head, but the scenes from before kept popping up in my head. Finally, my alarm for getting ready went off, and I decided that because I was already ready, I'd go over to his apartment a bit earlier. Hopefully, he would't mind, and hopefully, his mood changed back to a nicer version of himself and not whatever that was when he told me to leave.
I knocked on his door and waited. It took a bit longer than usual until he opened the door.

"You're early." He said but stepped aside to let me in anyway.

"I hope this doesn't inconvenience you, sir." I said, slightly worried.

He sighed and shook his head. "No. It's better than being late." He said and turned to his window. "Come, stand with me." He said softly.

I walked over and stood beside him. "I won't bite you. Come here, I wanna show you something." He said and pulled me closer to his side. "There. Do you see it?" He asked, and I focused towards where his finger pointed.

"I'm sorry. I don't think I see what you mean, sir." I admitted.

"Nothing noteworthy? Nothing at all?" He asked and looked down at me.

I looked all around, trying to see what he was talking about, but to no avail. "No." I said and looked up at him.

He smiled a flat smile and nodded. "Exactly. All of these buildings are full of people. So many, yet there is nothing, nobody noteworthy about anything you can see from up here." He said bitterly and sighed.

"Must be frustrating." I said, and he cocked his eyebrow. "Wasting your energy on all these luttle ants." I said and chuckled.

"Ants." He repeated and smiled to himself.