Chapter 31

Skyler Reinhart POV/:

I spent most of the day with Kate cuddled up in my arms on her living room couch. I missed her so much. I didn't want to leave her just yet I mean can you blame me I've been away from her for 2 years and I missed her deeply even though we haven't excepted the mate bond completely yet, I still felt every day I was away from her painfully.

Just then Kate reached up and touched my now curly shoulder length short hair "Your hair looks better naturally curly rather then straight" she said referring to the fact that when she first saw me at the club my hair was straight when it's naturally curly and light brown. "Oh yeah?" I replied she nodded "Yeah.....but why'd you cut and dye your hair?" She asked curiously I shrugged "My long hair kept getting in my eyes during training and as far as the dye goes, I guess I just wanted to try something new" I said.

"That makes sense" said Kate "What do you not like it?" I asked Kate shook her head no and touched my face "I love it, You look good in anything" she said, I found myself smiling and blushing at the compliment.

"Do you always speak this pretty to girls?" I asked, Kate looked at me realizing I was repeating the question she asked me years ago. Kate smirked "No just you" she said repeating the words I said, I smiled and leaned down towards her face "Good keep it that way" I said before kissing her lips, she wrapped her arms around my neck and my hands found her waist. I went to try and pull her onto my lap but suddenly we heard keys so we immediately broke apart just in time to see her family walk in.

I immediately stood up from the couch and so did Kate "Oh you guys are back" said Kate sounding pretty disappointed.

"Well don't sound so happy about it" said Danny her brother but then his eyes landed on me and be looked between us and smirked knowingly before walking over to the kitchen counter.

"Skyler!" Said Kate's mother. "Mrs. night" I said addressing her by her last name "Oh please darling just call me by my first name Lin" she said walking over and hugging me unexpectedly. I was shocked at first but then I hugged her back, Lin then pulled away and looked at me "I'm glad your back Skyler" said Lin I smiled " I'm glad to be back" I replied she patted my shoulders and smiled before walking over to the counter with Danny.

I locked eyes with Dean Kate's father for a moment and it was suddenly an awkward tension in the room. Neither one of us broke eye contact until I heard Kate's mother Lin Speaking to me "So Skyler dear are you staying for dinner?, I'm trying something new tonight and went a little overboard with the ingredients" she said I looked over at Kate for approval and she nodded with an happy look on her face. I cleared my throat to answer "Ok, thank you" I said with a smile

__________________________

We ate the meal Lin made together at the table. The girl who's name I now know is Liza because Kate introduced her to me way earlier joined us as well.

"So Skyler I heard you went traveling, where'd you visit?" Asked Danny trying to start up a conversation "Yeah, I went to this beautiful Island but on my way we went to many different cities even camped out in foreign woods where these beautiful flowers grow that's said to have a sort of calming affect on anyone who smells them" I said "That sounds amazing, you wouldn't happen to have any would you? if I have to listen to Juliana nagging me one more time I swear I'm gonna-" he said but stopped at the sound of the front door opening and someone walking in gaining all our attention. "Your gonna what Danny?" Asked a beautiful tall red headed woman with light blue eyes as she walked in and came in took a seat at the table "Sorry I'm late Mom and dad" said the girl leaning over and giving Lin a kiss on the cheek.

"It's fine Anna dear" said Lin.

"Mom and dad?" I repeated confused as I looked at Kate "You've had another sibling this whole time!?" I asked in shock, Kate giggled and shook her head "Well yes and no this is my brothers wife and mate Juliana, she's been traveling for work until a year ago so that's why you haven't seen her around" Kate explained.

"Nice to finally meet you Skyler Danny told me a lot about you" said the woman I smiled "Nice to meet you to Juliana" I replied "Just call me Anna, Juliana's a bit of a mouth full" she said i nodded "Ok Anna" I said and she smiled.

We continued eating but since Anna joined us the table got way more lively and I seen Dean smiling which was the biggest shock besides the fact that Danny is married and has been this entire time.

I don't think I've ever seen Dean smile, I kind of thought the man was incapable of doing so.

As the dinner was starting to warp up one thing was still on my mind. See I had made up my mind to challenge Dean to a fight in order to show him that I'm a capable mate.

I knew that Kate's father disapprove of me being Kate's mate and by the way he acted towards me today I could tell that his feelings on our relationship hasn't changed. I looked over at Kate catching her eyes, she smiled and I smiled back.

She doesn't know anything about my plan and I'm sure she's not going to like it, I took a breath before clearing my throat loudly gaining everyone's attention. "Excuse me but I have something I'd like to do" I said They all looked at me confused even Kate. I smiled at her once more before putting on a serious face and staring at Dean. "I'd like to challenge you to a fight" I said looking at Dean.

They all looked at me in shock, well everyone except for Dean who held a cold expressionless look on his face. "Skyler what are you-" said Kate but was cut off by her father speaking. "Are you challenging me for my title girl?" He asked  I shook my head "No sir, this may come as a surprise to all of you but I am now an alpha myself, I don't want nor do I need your title" I said in all seriousness. "Then what?" Asked Dean.

I took a breath before speaking again "I'm hoping to earn something way more valuable from this fight" I said. Dean folded his arms across his chest and looked at me "I'm listening" He Said. "Your respect, I want to be acknowledged as Kate's mate and I want to show you all that I can protect her" I said.

"Oh sweetheart" said Lin as she looked at me with a soft expression, Dean on the other hand just stared at me with an unreadable expression while the others still looked shocked and Kate look touched by what I said but also worried as well.

"Are you willing to except the consequence of death if you lose" said Dean Kate's eyes went wide before she looked at her father "DAD!?!" She shouted but I just put an hand over hers causing her to immediately calm down. "It's ok Kate" I whispered before turning to look at her father.

"Yes" I replied without hesitation "Wait hold on this is a bit much don't you think?" Asked Danny looking at his father but Dean didn't reply. Danny then looked over at me "Skyler I admire what your trying to do truly but this will end badly my father is no easy man to beat and your still young" said Danny trying to talk me out of it with a worried expression on his face. "Danny's right this could go wrong in so many ways" Said Anna agreeing with her husband.

I smiled at them. I appreciate their concern but I'm confident that I can win. "Are you sure about this dear?" Asked Lin I nodded my head "I've never been more sure about anything in my life Kate is my mate the one I'm destined to spend the rest of my life with.....I wouldn't want it any other way" I said grabbing Kate's hand and bringing it up to my lips before kissing the back of it.

I saw her ears and cheeks go red. I smiled at how cute she is before looking over at Dean again waiting for his answer.

After a moment of silence he finally spoke

"Then I accept your challenge"