Their Magic Doll

Bonnie and Kol were seated in the living room of Sheila's old home, where Bonnie was raised. Bonnie had been trying to get Kol to tap into his magic. They were trying to light a candle on fire. Kol had no hope that it would work, believing that any magic he might have had was completely diminished when his mother turned him and his siblings into vampires. So much for a mother's love, right?

But Kol knew the real reason why Bonnie was so adamant about teaching him magic. She was trying to get her mind off the argument she had with Abby. Bonnie wasn't much of a confrontational person, so when she voiced her emotions, she felt guilty, like she owed someone something. Even now, in the back of her mind, something kept telling her to go back to Abby's house and apologize. After all, Abby was her mother, right?

But Bonnie was smart. She fought off the voice. If she never said how she felt, it would be impossible to move on. That is if she wanted to. And who knows if she would?

"Babe, it's not going to work if you're just saying the chant. You have to feel it. Link your energy to the candle. Be the candle," Bonnie said, leaning forward, her eyes locked onto Kol's.

Kol looked at her, deadpan. "Be the candle? Are you serious?" He raised an eyebrow, clearly skeptical.

Bonnie gestured for him to continue, her face softening into a gentle smile.

Kol sighed, closing his eyes, trying to "be the candle."

Bonnie glanced at the picture frame on the small antique table next to the couch where she and Kol were seated. It was a picture of her and her Grams when Bonnie was just four years old. They were holding hands and laughing in what looked like a forest on a rainy day. A deep sigh escaped Bonnie's lips as she thought about her Grams. It was painful to know that once someone in the Bennett coven passed away, they were gone forever. The spirits made it almost impossible to reconnect, except for the rare occasions when Bonnie was an exception.

Being in her grandmother's home brought a mix of happiness and sorrow. The memories of Sheila sitting on this very couch, smiling and teaching Bonnie magic, flooded her mind. How could someone who was no longer alive still feel so present? Bonnie could only wonder.

She focused her attention back to Kol. 

"Incendia," he said.

Bonnie gasped, eyes wide with excitement. "Oh my gosh, you did it!"

Kol, eyes still closed, believed her. "Wait, really?"

He opened his eyes, only to see the candle unlit. "No," Bonnie said with a straight face.

Kol rolled his eyes. "Just had to get my hopes up."

Bonnie stood up from the couch and walked to the kitchen to check on the cornbread in the oven. She opened the oven and stuck a toothpick into it. "It's like you're not even trying," Bonnie said. She examined the toothpick, which had no residue on it. "It's done. Can you get it?"

Kol grabbed the mittens hanging in the cabinet and slid them onto his hands. He reached for the cornbread. "I'm sorry that I can't be your magic toy in times of need just because you're upset, darling." He removed the pie from the oven and kicked it closed with his foot. He turned around to look at Bonnie, whose head was tilted with an expression of annoyance, arms crossed. "The truth is the truth." He placed the pan on top of the table.

Bonnie huffed, grabbing the butter out of the refrigerator. She spread it across the cornbread until it was well-buttered. "I wasn't using you as my magic toy, Kol. I was simply trying to get you to tap into your magic. It was one of the first things we discussed when you became human, remember?" Kol threw the foil wrap at her, and she caught it with ease.