Chapter sixty seven

Pedro holds Mateo's hand and smiles as he looks at him.
"Mateo, we'll always be a family because we love you so so much. But your Mami and I aren't together anymore, that doesn't mean we don't love each other" Pedro says. Mateo looks at me and I nod.
"But where will we live? I don't want to go back to Manchester mama" Mateo says.

I comb his hair back gently.
"Don't worry about all of that Teo, we'll figure it out together" I kiss his forehead.

____

We finish having dinner, which went well after our talk. I was surprised with so far how well Mateo took it. Pedro was being so helpful with it too, surprisingly. It made me so happy to see them together, like father and son.

After dinner we drove home. It was dark out by now, but we decided to stay out and look at the stars. I head inside to use the bathroom while the boys stayed out.

Pedro POV
"Pedri?"
"Yes Mateo?" I reply. It hurts that he doesn't call me dad but it's still some adjusting to do.
"I'm happy you're my dad. I only had ale before but now I have a real dad"
I laugh at first, unsure of what to respond.
"I'm glad you're my son too. Te quiero Mateo. And no one is going to separate us ever again" I pull him beside me and he hugs me.

He points up at the stars as we lay down.

Delaney POV
I return and find the boys lying watching the stars. I snap a quick photo before sitting beside them.

____

Mateo falls asleep on Pedro's lap eventually, leaving us to talk.

"So-
"So"

We laugh as we interrupt each other.
"Go first" I say
"I wanted to thank you for letting me into Mateo's life. I was an asshole and I probably don't deserve to be here but-"
"Pedro, let's just move past it. We both made mistakes. What's important is raising our son. Making sure he's happy and healthy" I reply.
"You're right. Look at us, who thought we'd be here" he smiles.
"With our beautiful boy" I smile and look down at Mateo.
"He's perfect"
"He looks just like you" I chuckle.
"And he has your sweet soul and big heart. I can't believe I missed out on his first years"
"Pedro we can't focus on the past"
He sighs, "I know"

After a few minutes we decide to head back inside.
Pedro takes Mateo over to his bed and tucks him in. He shuts the door and heads back to the living room.

"Do you mind if I crash here? It's late and I-"
"Sure it's no problem" I reply. He smiles and sits on the sofa.

I turn off the lights and say goodnight before heading to my room. It feels so weird, sleeping under the same roof as Pedro. I toss and turn in bed as I try to think of how our lives will change. I didn't want to leave Manchester, but Mateo is so happy being here with Pedro and everyone else. Leaving Alejandro is going to suck, but ultimately I should do what's best for my son.

____

the next morning:
I wake up early and head to the living room. It sucks I can't head out for my run, the doctor hasn't cleared me or removed my brace from my knee. But my body is so used to waking up so even though I'd love to get some more sleep, I haven't been able to.

I make myself a coffee and head out to the backyard. To my surprise, Pedro was already sitting outside having a coffee. He sits by the pool and smiles as I walk over. He pats the spot beside him and I sit.

"How's your knee feeling?" He asks as he softly touches it.
"Better but it's still been uncomfortable to sleep"
"Hopefully you'll get it off soon, you've recovered fairly quick at least"
I nod.
"I'm so glad you're both okay. I felt terrible knowing what had happened, especially since we hadn't talked"
"You didn't have to, we weren't anything at the time"
He shrugs.
"And how about you, how's your eye" I smile as I lightly brush off his bruise.
"I only look stupid but it doesn't hurt" he laughs.
"I'm sorry about you and Tania"
"It's for the best. I couldn't have that toxic energy around me especially now with Mateo. We just didn't want the same things in life"
"And what's that?"
"You know me. I always have wanted a family, to raise children together. She didn't want that"
"Yeah that's tricky". I smile at the thought. He's not like most boys.
"What about you? Any dating going on?" He nudges me.
I shake my head, "nope. It was just us two living with Alejandro"
"And you two never-"
"No never" I smile.
He smiles back and we sip our coffees.

We sit in silence for a few minutes until eventually he clears his throat.
"So are you planning on moving back to Manchester?"
"Not anymore. I don't want to take Mateo away from you now that he knows"
"Thank you. I really can't thank you enough" I smile and stand up.

____

Pedro headed home after having breakfast with us. Mateo was glad he had stayed, he wanted to keep hanging out with Pedro but he had training.

We agreed to have dinner together everyday so that they could see each other. But we would have to come up with a better schedule now that we were coparenting.