Chapter sixty eight

a month later:

Things have been going well with Pedro and I and Mateo. As planned, Pedro comes over every night for dinner when he can. He and Mateo have been getting to know each other really well, and in glad Mateo has two parent figures now. I made the difficult decision to move back to Spain completely. This means I'll have to share the news with Alejandro, and fly to Manchester to pack up our things. I feel terrible leaving him and am going to miss him so much. But this is for the best.

Our flight was in a few days so I had plenty of time. Today we were going over to Pedro's house for the first time. Even though it's been awhile, we hadn't spent mine there. Usually he came over or we went out. Mateo was beyond excited because Pedro had a pool that was much bigger than the one here at Eric's house. Now that I planned to move back, I was going to do some house searching of my own.

Mateo and I had breakfast together and then got ready to wait for Pedro who was picking us up.

nanigarcia posted on their story:

____

Mateo hears the knock at the door and rushes over. He smiles as he opens the door to reveal Pedro.
"Buenos días Teo" Pedro lifts him into his arms and kisses his cheek.
"Papi!" Mateo cheers.

Pedro and I look at each other and smile. Mateo's first time calling him that. I know it meant a lot to Pedro.
"Te quiero hijo. Te quiero mucho" Pedro smiles and holds him tight. He walks over to me and gives me a small hug.

"Ready?" He asks
"Yes Mateo has been ready all morning" I reply.

We head out the door and into Pedro's car. Depending on how late it is we told Mateo we might spend the night so he was excited.

We arrive at Pedro's house and he lets us inside. Like typically Pedro, his house is a mess. The only place that is clean is the kitchen and I assume that's because of his chef.

"Sorry for the mess" he says turning a bit red.
"It's fine" I smile.
"Papi, can we go outside?" Mateo asks.
"Sure. Let's get you dressed first" Pedro asks. They rush over to the room and change into their swim suits. I walk over to the bathroom and get dressed as well.

The boys walk out and stand by the door waiting for me.
"You go on out, I have to make a quick call" I say. They nod and head outside.

I look around and take a seat by the door. I grab my phone to call Alejandro. Today was his first day back with the team after a small injury and I wanted to check in on him.

Pedro POV
"Papi, can you hold me first?" Mateo asks me as he stands on the first step of the pool.
"Sure, don't be scared. I got you" I reply. I step in to the cool water and slowly make my way in, grabbing Mateo on the way. His eyes light up as he splashes around us.
"Hold your breath" I say before submerging us both in the water.

We both laugh as I bring us back, our hair drenched.
I set Mateo down on the step so he can sit while I bring over his toys.
"Papi?"
"Yes Teo?"
"Why can't you and Mami be together so we can be see each other all the time?"
"It's not that simple unfortunately" I reply as I move his wet hair to the side.
"But don't you love her?"

I take a deep breath. I do love her, I never stopped.

"Of course I do. But things change. Don't focus on that we'll spend all the time we can together, ok?"
"But what about when we go to Manchester? Are you coming too?"
"I can't. I have a match"
"Can I stay?"
"We'll have to ask mama" I say. He nods and continues playing.

Eventually I look over as Delaney comes out through the door. The sun makes her body glow and her hair flows with the small breeze. She looks perfect. Every thing about her is perfect. We make eye contact and she smiles, causing me to smile back.

"Everything okay?" I ask.
She nods.
"Sorry I took awhile"
"It's fine"I mouth.

She steps into the pool and sits on the step beside Mateo.

As if we were a perfect family just the three of us, we spend hours by the pool. Until eventually we can tell Mateo is getting tired and ready for his nap. We lay on the chairs outside and I hold Mateo in my arms until he's asleep.

I carry him inside and set him down on the bed. I walk back outside and sit at the chair beside her. She smiles as she looks up from her phone.

"Mateo asked me if he could stay with you when I leave to Manchester, I wasn't sure how to feel but it would be good for you both to spend time together" she says.
"You'd leave him with me?"
"Of course, I trust you" she laughs.
"I'd love to spend time with him. I didn't think you'd feel comfortable with that"
"You're his father, there's no one better than you to stay with him" she reassures me.
"Thank you" I smile and set my hand on her lap gently. I look over and she blushes. I pull my hand away and look up at the sky.

As I sit there in my own thoughts I can't help but get myself to gain the courage. I'm going to win her back. We're meant to be together, I know we are. And I know just the way.