Phase 2: A Guardian's Pledge

[Transfield]

[6:32 PM]

Once she took my hand, she bolted forward with a breakneck speed abruptly breaking through the wall of the air and making an invisible wind tunnel. I just screamed like a cow giving birth to a farm equipment.

"Aaaaaaieeeeaaaaa!!!"

Her hand was so soft. She's wearing thin fingerless gloves, so I can feel it! It's my first time to hold a girl's hand! Joy to the world! Halleluiah!

I can't savor the moment though I this might be my only chance to hold her. I'm more confused of what happened. Why am I in this place? What kind of monster was that? How did I transport myself? And why is Erylle here, too? My brain got it all jumbled.

She stopped sprinting when we're finally on the entrance of a small cave on the feet of a mountain. It was so dark inside.

"Let's come inside. This is a safe place."

When we went inside, Erylle swiped her hand in the air. Fire came out in a circle of wood chunks. It was a magical bonfire. Erylle sat beside it, and told me to sit with her.

"Is this the first time you've been to Transfield?"

"I-I don't know what you're talking about." I scratched my head.

"This is what I wanted to talk to you about earlier, but you kept on making false excuses, geez! What's with you? Are you allergic to me???"

"N-No! I-I'm just..."

She stared at me suspiciously as I bowed, hiding my blushing face. Nervousness and cowardice is my worst enemy whenever Erylle is in front of my eyes.

"Oh well, let's move on. I'll explain to you everything."

<>

It appears that we're in a different world. <Transfield>.

The glowing light that teleported me here is a gateway to a parallel world, or simply called <Gates>. Gates cannot be seen by normal people, and only a few people can create these things.

The beast we encountered is called an <Eidolon>, the apparition that makes distortions in the world. Sins, such as murder, corruption, and adultery in the Earth are their doings. Once they open a Gate, they take form as a man's evil conscience. That makes them equivalent to demons.

That is why Erylle is here. She is a <Gate Guardian>. Guardians make sure that the Eidolons cannot open a Gate to corrupt the minds of the people on earth.

I'm the one who opened the Gate which transported me. Subconsciously, I did. That means that I can become a Guardian too. Once I become a Guardian, I can control opening and closing the Gates.

<>

After Erylle told me the story, she swiped on the air, and a glowing ring of light materialized. It really looks like the very same dazzling portal that transferred me here.

"I'll tell you more next time. It's already nightfall in the surface. Let's go back, shall we?~"

<>

The only source of light is the streetlamps, giving us a better visual in the surroundings. So walking in the streets is not really a problem.

Erylle escorted me into my dormitory. It feels good that my crush is the one escorting me. She even saved me earlier. She fought gracefully this day. I think my feelings for her became twice stronger. She's cool, beautiful, cute, sexy, friendly, and she's like a superhero...aaaaargh! How can I confess to her now? She's definitely a million light years out of my league!

When we're finally in front of the entrance of the dormitory, I hastily waved goodbye. I know that if I stay longer with her, I'm going to pee my pants in excitement...

But suddenly she grabbed my shoulders and mumbled, bowing her head.

"Y-Yohan... I'm going to ask you a favor..."

I turned around and smiled. I can't help but mumble every time I speak to her.

"W-What c-can I do for you?"

"I... I just... I need you to become a Guardian...and join our legion in protecting Heightsburg City... I know it's foolish but you have a potential."

I really can't decide about it by now. I'm not confident about myself, joining in a risky organization and fighting monsters, not forgetting that I'm a dopey loser.

"I might become a burden for you. I'm a good-for-nothing loser... I'm bad at sports...I have bad grades...I don't have any specialties at all..." I bowed. "Everyone knows I'm a loser."

Erylle's face became much more serious, glaring at me. She immediately pressed her face closer to mine.

"It's your story, and nobody has the right to judge it. You're the one calling yourself a loser... If you will just accept it, then nothing will change!"

It silenced me for a couple of seconds. Those wise words made me realize that maybe...just maybe I'll be useful to her. I closed my eyes, drew my breath and exhaled that made my mind clear for a moment. Then I finally made my answer.

"I-I need more explanation about the Transfield, Gates, Eidolons, and the Guardians. I might join your group. I promise."

"That's good to hear!" She smiled brighter than ever before. Tears started flowing from her cheeks. "Thank you!"