Phase 12: A Romantic Date

[Heightsburg Campus]

[10:23 AM]

"The Miss Heightsburg for this Summer Pageant is.......Alice Remeina!"

The crowd went wild as the coronation of the champion of the Summer Pageant commenced. Erylle congratulated Alice for having a very close fight. Erylle's rather happy about this. At least she whipped Zenaida's butt.

At the backstage, I came to Erylle's dressing room. She was being interviewed by the school journalist Heffy and her cameraman Arthur about the pageant. That journalist is always pestering people for intriguing response to her various questions.

"What made you join the pageant after being inactive for years?"

"Well, it's not 'What'."

"Who then?" Heffy started to stare at Erylle suspiciously. "Is he better than Atlas Kozukata?"

Erylle just smiled at the camera.

Man, Erylle sure was popular. Even Atlas is a hunk in our school when he was still alive. It's obvious that I'm no better than his past lover.

I waited patiently until I got my time alone with Erylle. When the journalists left the room, I congratulated Erylle with my trying-hard joyful voice.

"Congratulations, Legion Master!~"

She suddenly blushed and looked away. She even pouted.

"T-Thank you...Hey, your promise!" She shifted immediately. "Because I won second, you'll treat me to Evenstouch Restaurant!"

Evenstouch Restaurant is one of the most expensive restaurants here on Heightsburg. It's a five-star restaurant, really. Only businessmen and some spoiled students are their customers. Well I guess I'm one of those spoiled students. My request of her joining the pageant is expensive.

I nodded in agreement. I think she deserved it.

<>

The next day, I went to Erylle's bungalow. It was Sunday and the sun is burning bright, quite a perfect day to have a date. On the front of the bungalow, a woman wearing a pink dress and blue short skirt is waiting. It was Erylle. She was happy to see me. Or I'm the one happy? Never mind it then.

So what we did in the date? Not really much; we went to the mall, the park, and finally to the restaurant when it's finally lunchtime. I learned some things about her. I learned that she is fond of dogs when we stopped on a pet shop in the mall. She wanted to ride a fancy boat in the lakesince she was a child.

For the first thirty minutes of this date, her smile never faded. It wasn't fake, I'm certain. Her emerald eyes twinkled like stars if she's really happy, I know that.

Finally, we stopped at the expensive restaurant. We had their most expensive dish; the beef rib steak with some vegetables for side dishes and some soup and grape wine. Darn, I almost depleted all my savings. It was worth it, having our first date. Or is it?

"You don't have to spend this much for me. I just wanted to try the soup." She pouted. "The wine's also expensive."

"Y-You deserve it. You won second, so this is way much better."

"Geez...Anyways, thank you!~" She flashrd her cute smile again.

Then we started eating. My mind was discombobulated. I'm too nervous. I'm not accustomed to any girl at all. I just had had random topics hopelessly scrambled inside my head. Maybe I'll go straight to the point.

"E-Erylle...I've been wondering...Are you dating someone?"

"Huh? Nope~" She smiled innocently.

This is the time to release the burning desire out of my heart. I've been waiting for years just to say this to her, and this is the perfect time. I mustered my strength and stared her in the eyes, gathering the words I would wholeheartedly confess.

Erylle! I know we've been friends for a short time, but I already admired you so much! I want to know you better! I promise I will make you happy! I will never leave your side! I love you!

But before I opened my mouth to speak, she started to scrunch her face and wave her hand, saying;

"N-No..."

"Eh?"

"Most people confess their feelings for me with that expression..."

"I-I'm not..." I cried.

That was the only thing I can say to her. I started to eat my meal, trying to conceal my feelings. But she just watched me chew my food. She even looked entertained. There's a smile on her face and she started chuckling.

"I'm just kidding~"

I held a big sigh. I thought this love story ended before it ever began. But I don't quite understand what we're talking about. Do I actually have a chance?

We halted to have some conversations like that until we finished our meal. I don't want to spit the truth that I like her very much. Things will be better this way.

<>

It was already afternoon. When we finished eating, we went out of the restaurant and started walking on the side of the street. Going home, of course. I'll escort her to her bungalow first, that's a job for a gentleman like me.

Just then, Erylle became acting strange. She's glancing to her right every now and then.

"What's the matter?"

"Yohan...Can you use your Quintessence?"

"Why?"

"There's someone following us. He's hiding behind the black mailbox on my right."

I turned my head slowly but Erylle immediately bumped her elbows to my stomach. I flinched for a second, and she whispered me;

"Don't look, he will notice you. I suggest using your ocular ability."

I nodded. As soon I turned my head slowly, I used my eyes to stop time. She was telling the truth. It was a hooded person behind the mailbox, but I can't see its face. I can only use my peripheral vision, so it's quite blurry. I'm sure it was a human though.

Then I returned time back to normal.

"Maybe he's your stalker?" I jokingly said.

"No one stalks at me like that. Guys know that I'm a black belter in taekwondo and a champion in archery. You're the only one who have the guts to be with me~"

"Maybe mine?" I raised my voice in confusion.

Erylle made a "Mmm...mmm" sound and raised her shoulders. Then she immediately grabbed my ear and whispered again.

"Want to figure that one out?~"