Phase 68: Asumi's Wish

[Transfield]

[10:02 PM]

"Yohan! Stop!"

Suddenly, a soft body hugged me from the back.

It was just a moment, but it made me change my mind. It made me regain my real self: the harmless and pure minded Yohan that I lost an hour ago.

Erylle.

"Don't!" She cried at the back of my shoulders. My hand lost its grip on the sword, and it immediately fell to the ground. I suddenly lost all my evil intent upon showing me how affectionate she is.

"...Asumi...won't be happy if you killed someone! The truth is... it is Asumi's pure goodwill to protect you from the start! She never needed any payment for protecting you! She just wanted you to live an innocent life, away from any dangerous battles! His contract with Lironeo is a lie! She doesn't want you to fight! No one wants you to fight! You don't have to hurt anyone! That is why I'm begging you to stop this at once! ...Please!"

Asumi... Images of her faces are stuck in my brain. All the times we're together...all the laughters...all the tears... all the pranks...all happy memories that took years but looked like an eternity.

<><><><><>

Two years ago...

"Hey, why are you accompanying me all of a sudden?" Asumi tilted her head.

"I-I'm not accompanying you! I live in the dormitory a few meters from your shrine, that's all. It's inevitable to have a crossroads, right? Hahaha!" I created a fake laugh to escape the topic.

"Eeeeeh? But you're always talking to me whenever you see me on the road!"

"I-I'm just concerned at your wellbeing, that's all. And you seem to have no friends at all."

"I-I'm not a loner!" Asumi puffed her cheeks.

"H-Hey, I didn't say you're a loner! A-And also, do you even know how to cross a street?"

"I-I don't!... Yeah laugh all you want! I know I'm an airhead!" Now she's angry.

"I didn't say anything about you being an airhead!"

"Y-You just said it! Oh, I'll cross this street this once! You should sit back and watch at me!"

She's trying my conscience. If I didn't help her cross this street, it will look like I murdered her, and my conscience will haunt me for the rest of my life. What should I do with her?

Luckily, there are no vehicles around. She might succeed crossing this street!

"Go!"

"You didn't have to tell me!" She yelled and then marched into her battlefield...or the pedestrian.

But suddenly... There were two boys playing soccer on the road. That looks dangerous... not for the boys (since there are no vehicles on the horizon). That danger is for Asumi! The soccer ball flew into her direction! I should save her!

"Watch out!" I cried.

I intercepted the ball, trying to block it, but...Pak!... It hit my face before I knew it. I collapsed on the floor. Asumi then dragged my body back to the sidewalk and then laughed in a cute manner.

"Look at you now! Hahahaha!"

"I should have let that ball hit you." I groaned.

"You know, you're like a hero." Her tone suddenly changed to an affectionate one. "You saved me from that ball. Thanks!"

"I-It's really rare for you to praise me..." I groaned, with a hint of reddish tint on my cheeks.

"Don't worry! I will repay you a thousand fold! I'll promise you I'll protect you from any harm from now on!"

<><><><><>

I smashed my fist on the ground, a few centimeters from Benedict's face. My fist is bleeding...but I never felt hurt. This is nothing compared to Asumi's pain. If only it's me who got killed in this battle...

"DARN IT!!!"

<>

The battle resulted to our win. All the Cursed Guardians, including the Eaglehorn Legion members went back to their original selves thanks to Erylle's Reginleif. Benedict reverted to his original state as well. There will be no more threats from the Cursed Guardians from now on. The Dark Legion is no more.

Casualties. There are twenty two of the Guardians who met their untimely death. Including the girl that left a hole on the Blazing Heart. Even if this is a win, no one would dare to celebrate this. A death is a death.

Now the only thing to worry about is the Aeternos, and the regular Eidolons who threatens to open a gate in the Transfield.

<>

I was in the infirmary of the Black Cross, watching most of my fellow Blazing Heart heal their wounds. I felt that there is a bulk on my pants. I reached my pocket, and a small origami of a crane was stuck between my fingers. It looked deformed, so I tried returning it to a flat square paper. But I never realized that this paper crane would make me cry for a hundred more days.

There is a note written on it.

"To the person who is my whole world: Yohan Romanov."