Chapter 9

Mark's POV

"This is actually happening," Jack mumbled, just loud enough for me to hear.

"Yeah, it is."

Not a second after I said that, all the lights shut off, and we were left in the dark.

···

"Umm, Ms. Higgins?" I heard Cry mumble.

The lights flickered back on, and the first thing I noticed was that Ms. Higgins and the older woman had left. They were probably just checking on all the kids though.

The second thing I noticed was that Jack was no longer in the seat next to me.

"Has anyone seen Jack?" I asked. This was really weird. All the lights in a building don't just turn themselves off, then turn back on thirty seconds later. There were no thunderstorms or anything like that happening when we got here, so someone had to have purposely turned them off. Now, the two workers that we met disappear without telling us where they went? Not to mention my best friend just vanished without a trace.

"No, uh, where'd Phil go?" Dan asked, and I knew he was trying to sound calm, just like I was.

"Oh, they're right here," a voice boomed above us.

"And who the hell might you be?" Felix directed at the ceiling.

"That's not important at the moment. However, in time, I will come to reveal myself–"

"DAN! PHIL ISN'T HURT–"

Was that Nathan?

"SHUT UP CHILD!"

I heard what sounded like a knife being lifted off a table.

"JACK'S OKAY TOO–AHHH!"

I heard a knife being sliced against something as Nate's screams filled my ears.

"Nate! Why you motherfucker–AHHH!"

The slicing started again, but this time, Percy was the one screaming.

"HEY! Why the fuck are you hurting those kids?!" Dan shrieked.

"Does" slicing "this" slicing "bother you" slicing. The entire time the voice was saying this, Nate's screams filled the background noise.

"HOLY SHIT! STOP YOU PSYCO!" I yelled without thinking.

"Would you prefer I use someone else?"

"Mark! Don't listen to this whore! I'm fine–AHHH!" Percy began screaming again.

"Yeah! Use me!" I tried to sound brave, but I knew my voice was shaking.

"But that wouldn't be as fun as this."

"LET GO OF ME YA FUCKER!"

Jack.

No.

"DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!" Dan shrieked.

I looked over at him to find him looking at me. He looked sympathetically at me, but my mouth was still hung open in shock.

"You don't want me to hurt Jack? Well, I could always torture Phil."

"Don't worry about Phil, Dan!" Percy yelled, a hint of laughter in his voice.

"What the–" the voice started.

I heard loud footsteps running across a platform.

"How did you get out of your chains?!"