Chapter 79

Mark's POV

I exchanged an uneasy glance with Felix before asking, "You guys want to help us through the second floor?"

One of the boys, who Reagan had introduced as Percy, nodded. "Yeah? We're meeting some people along the way so we can have a picnic on the beach." He chuckled to himself. "We just went over this plan earlier today!"

Phil smiled. "We have to get moving. Everyone's waiting along the path."

"We're kind of standing on an invisible mountain," Felix commented. "How are we supposed to follow a path?"

Dan and Phil exchanged glances while the kids giggled to themselves. Dan questioned, "What are you talking about?"

I pointed to the invisible ground beneath us. "We can't see the mountain."

Phil snapped his fingers. "Oh, that's right! Nate, stop messing around and do the thing."

Nate grinned. "I'd be glad to."

Nate set his bike on the ground and bent down. He closed his eyes and set his right hand down on the ground. Dan and Phil were smiling like proud parents when thin, green swirls glowed on Nate's arms and what I could see of his legs. Felix and I stared at him with wide eyes. 

Slowly, the ground beneath us started to fade into view. The mountain slowly took form beneath our feet. Once I could see every individual blade of grass, Nate stopped. The green swirls on his arms and legs disappeared and he opened his eyes. He bounced off the ground and lifted his bike up.

I took a moment to scan over the mountain. There was a dirt path that ran across the middle, but everywhere else, all I could see was grass and flowers. 

"Alright," Phil continued as if what had just happened was perfectly normal, "now can we get moving down the path? Everyone's waiting for us." 

Before Felix or I could oppose, everyone who wasn't already standing next to us walked up to us. Phil jumped onto his bike and raced down the hill at full speed. The four kids followed, cheering and shouting as they went rocketing down the mountain. 

Dan gestured for me and Felix to go next. "I was told I had to go last."

I gulped, but before I had the chance to even consider suggesting that Felix and I get to the picnic area on our own, Felix went flying down the mountain, cheering just like the kids.

I groaned and forced a smile as I slowly pushed myself to where the path went down. I took a deep breath. These people seemed too nice to be leading us to our death. Plus, they seem to be people we knew personally. 

I guess that meant they could stab us in the back and have a bigger impact.

I sighed and put the sword through my belt loop. I just had to be ready for whatever was going to happen.

I pushed the ground with my feet to move over the edge. As soon as I did, I was sent rushing down the mountain. My hair flew back and I could barely keep my eyes open. I kept my feet planted on the pedals, but couldn't bring myself to make the bike move any quicker.

Suddenly, I realized exactly what was going on.

I was racing down a mountain with some of my friends. Racing to the second floor.

I opened my eyes, smiling. I was just getting closer to getting my memories back! I laughed to myself and stood up on my bike, yelling.

Dan glided beside me. "You finally seem to be enjoying yourself."

I looked over to him, still smiling brightly. "Yeah? This is some exciting stuff, Daniel!"

He grinned back. "This is just the beginning, Markiplier!"