Chapter 50

Mark's POV

I silently closed the door behind me and squinted my eyes, trying to see Dark's room. His room was pitch black, so I couldn't see anything clearly. I saw the outline of a few bookcases lining the walls and the shadow of a bed. I heard light snores coming from the bed, which I assumed was Dark sleeping.

I wasn't quite sure what to do. I needed answers, and Dark seemed like the only person I could get them from. Anti just seemed to be dodging my questions.

I slowly approached the bed. I stopped once I had reached it and thought about what I was doing. I could just wait for tomorrow. Anti said he would explain everything to me then.

However, I had a feeling he would just lie his way out of it.

I took a deep breath and carefully reached my arm down to Dark. I touched his shoulder and gripped it with my hand. Hesitantly, I shook his body.

"Dark?" I whispered.

He mumbled something and rolled over. I sighed and continued to shake him. "Dark? Wake up." He rolled back toward me and sleepily opened his eyes.

His eyes were bright red.

I inhaled sharply. I felt my entire body tense up as I stared at him. He slowly blinked his eyes. "What?"

I gulped. "I, uh, have a few questions to ask you."

He sat up in his bed and rubbed his eyes. "Turn on the lights."

I stared at him for a few more seconds before walking back toward the door. I felt around on the wall for a light switch and found one not long after.

I flipped the lights on and spun back around to face Dark. He grunted and closed his eyes from his bed.

He looked exactly like me, other than his sense of style and bright red eyes. My breathing hitched, but I clenched my fists at my sides and took a few steps toward him.

A moment later, he opened his eyes again and blinked them several times. Once his eyes adjusted to the light, he stared at me. I decided that was the best time to explain. "Umm, hi. I'm–"

"Mark?"

My jaw dropped slightly as I stared at Dark. "How–"

"What the hell are you doing here?! You're supposed to be helping your friends! My friends! You're supposed to be at the orphanage saving everyone!"

I stood there in shock. "How do you know about the orphanage? No one else does."

"That's," he took a deep breath, "not really important, I suppose. What the heck are you doing here, though?"

"I came to save Jack–"

"Jack's here too?!" Dark screeched. "Shit! He's the human they were talking about! He's in prison, isn't he?!"

"I think so–"

"How did you get here?!" Dark was fully awake now. He jumped out of his bed and walked toward me, almost threateningly.

"I-It's kind of a long story."

"Spill."

I gulped. This was probably a bad idea. All that happened so far was me having more questions. "Well, I found Anti in the orphanage and he brought me here to help bring Jack back to the human world."