Chapter 52

Mark's POV

As I began regaining consciousness, I felt my body jump a bit. I felt something cold against my wrists and heard something like wind rushing past me. I grumbled and started to open my eyes.

I was in the backseat of a car. Dark was driving and had his window down. Something in red was illuminating the car from the radio.

One nineteen.

"Are the numbers on your radio the same as the ones in Anti's room," I muttered. Without saying a word, Dark stopped the car. He opened his door and got out. When he opened my door, I yelled weakly, "Are the numbers on your radio the same as the ones in Anti's room?!"

"Yes," he responded briefly, before punching my left temple and knocking me out again.

•••

When I came to the second time, I still felt something cold on my wrists. However, this time, my wrists were above my head.

I opened my eyes to find that I was in a room with one glass wall. The rest of the walls were dark gray and seemed rusted. I was sitting against the wall on the opposite side of the glass wall. I glanced up to find my hands handcuffed to the wall above my head.

I tried to move my feet but found them heavier than usual. I looked down at them to discover them tied together with a large chain connecting them to the wall.

Dark must've actually turned me in.

I sighed and rested my head against the wall. How was I supposed to help anyone in this situation?

I should have listened to Anti. If I had, I likely wouldn't have been in this situation.

I glanced around the room again, looking things over in detail, when I realized I was still wearing my clothes. I still felt my phone in my pocket, though it wouldn't help since it wouldn't turn on. As well as the fact that I couldn't reach it.

I continued looking around the room and found a small camera in one of the corners. There was a speaker on the ceiling, and a timer was shining brightly from the glass wall.

Zero nineteen.

If that was the same timer Anti had in his room, there were nineteen hours until someone I knew would be executed. I took a deep breath and looked at the camera.

"I assume I'm being watched and the people watching me can hear me?"

There were a few seconds of silence before I got a response from a male voice that sounded slightly familiar, "Continue."

"Am I in prison?"

"Yes."

I clenched my hand into a fist above my head. "Did Dark bring me here?"

"Yes. Tell me when you're done asking questions so I can inform you of some basic rules."

"Will you answer all of my questions truthfully?"

"Of course."

I grinned to myself. "What's the timer on the wall for?"

There was a short pause before the reply, "I can't tell you in complete detail, but it's the countdown for a boy's execution."