Chapter 92

Dan's POV

I looked at Phil, standing beside me still holding Sam. He sunk to the floor and gently laid Sam on the ground in front of him. He covered his mouth with a hand and I noticed his eyes begin to water.

"I-Is that Mark?" Nate asked from behind us.

I pivoted around, feeling tears pricking at my eyes. Jason, Nate, Percy, and Tim were lined up staring at Mark and Thomas with a variety of different expressions. Jason looked ready to burst into tears, Nate seemed like any hope he had left had just been thrown on the floor and stomped on, Percy looked ready to murder someone, and Tim was frozen in shock.

I took it upon myself to check out Mark and Thomas. I walked over to the two, gagging as I jumped over a puddle of their intertwined blood. I kneeled next to Mark first, but before I did anything, I turned to face everyone else. "How am I supposed to check if he's alive?"

"Heartbeat?" Percy replied, tilting his head. "See if he's breathing? Do the normal things you'd do if someone was dying? This really is common sense."

"Sorry," I shot back, "I don't deal with dying people very often."

I looked down to Mark. The puddle of blood around his head was steadily growing bigger. He wasn't bleeding from his nose, mouth, or ears, which meant the bleeding was most likely coming from the back of his head.

I hesitated before putting my index finger under his nose. I froze before letting out a huge sigh of relief once I felt him breathe against my finger. I fell backward and laid on my back for a moment. "He's breathing."

"Yes!" Jason pumped his fist in the air before running over to me, nearly slipping in all the blood.

"Hang on!" Nate called, smiling. "I threw a bunch of shirts in this bag." He pulled out some of mine and Phil's merchandise, then threw a black shirt over to me.

I sat up and caught it while Jason lifted Mark's head off the ground slightly. I laid the shirt under his head and Jason set it back down. The two of us managed to wrap the shirt around his head well enough so that blood wasn't coming out.

Once we finished with Mark, Phil and Tim came over to us and gently lifted him up before walking him over to everyone else and laying him down again. Jason and I moved over to Thomas.

Jason started gagging as we got closer to him. Thomas had blood pouring out of a hole to the left of his belly button. His eyes were still slightly open and his chest was moving up and down shakily.

"Thomas?" I asked.

He turned his head to the side a bit before coughing up blood. He turned back to face us after a second. "Jack..."

"What about Jack?" Nate inquired as he walked over to us with Percy.

Thomas coughed a couple more times before Nate and Jason helped him sit up. He carefully wiped some of the blood away from his face before replying, "Robert took," he coughed again, but with less blood, "Jack's body."

There was a pause before Percy hesitantly asked, "Robert took Jack's body? Then, is Jack..."

"Don't know."

"You don't know if Jack's alive or not?" I questioned.

"Mark was crying over his body."

I exchanged a quick glance with Jason before he replied, "That sounds like he's dead."

"Not necessarily," Percy murmured.