Chapter 34

Dan's POV

While Nate and I were walking back to the dorm Jason and Phil were in, I noticed that he couldn't keep his eyes off the key. He was holding it in his left hand while his right arm was attached to me.

"Is something wrong with the key because I really don't want to go back to the painting," I commented.

"I don't know," he replied hesitantly, "I just don't like this. We're locked in an orphanage, and some of the people here act like they've known us our whole lives."

"Are you talking about John knowing your name?"

"Yeah, it just doesn't make sense!" He continued, "I mean, him knowing your name wasn't that weird because you guys are basically famous–"

"I'm not famous," I cut him off.

"But someone recognizing you wouldn't be nearly as odd as someone recognizing me."

I thought for a moment. "I guess that's true." I noticed Nate's normal expression change to one of worry. "Don't worry, though. Phil and I are gonna take care of you and Jason until we find Mark and everyone else. Once we find them, we're going to go find who locked us up here, and make them release us."

"But are we going to be okay? Earlier, you said that you doubt everyone will make it out alive. Were you being serious?" He was practically in tears as he continued, "Is someone gonna die?"

I stopped walking and turned to him. "Listen to me right now, Nate. Earlier, I was being ignorant. No one's going to die, and I'll make sure of it. You're gonna be fine, we're going to find Reagan and Percy, and they'll be fine too. Same goes for Jason and all the other YouTubers."

Nate let out a long sigh before whispering, "Promise?"

I smiled at him and pulled him into a hug. "Yup, now let's go get Phil and Jason. Time to see if this key opens anything or if we'll be adding it to our collection."

Nate giggled, "This is so weird."

"What is, other than the obvious?"

"I would never let any of the orphanage workers touch me, let alone hug me. The only people I even considered letting near me were Reagan, Jason, and Percy. Now, I'm hugging you, someone I just met a few days ago."

I smiled and hugged him tighter as I chuckled, "Probably the videos."

He giggled back, "Probably."

I heard a groan of frustration escape a dorm a few doors down and I let go of Nate.

"What the heck was that?" he asked, looking up at me.

"It sounded like it came from the dorm Phil and Jason are in," I replied.

"Let's go!" he yelled, grabbing my arm and dragging me down the hallway.

We raced side by side down the hallway before stopping in the doorway of the room Phil and Jason were in. Inside, Phil was sitting on a small bed in the corner with his head in his hands. Jason was heaving piles of clothes out of drawers.

"What's going on?" Nate asked with a tilted head.

Phil let out a loud groan before standing up and pointing at the drawer. "There's literally nothing in that drawer other than white shirts and it's really starting to get on my nerves."

Jason let out a loud sigh as he sat back from the drawer. "I bet there's cooler stuff in the closet."

"If only we had the key," Nate commented as he pulled the key out from behind him.