Chapter 53

Dan's POV

"Who should we save next?" Nate asked as all of us made our way to the laboratory exit.

"We haven't exactly saved Percy yet," Jason commented.

"Yeah," I added, "shouldn't we be more focused on how we're going to get passed Alex?"

Limping beside Nate, Percy questioned, "You guys said that you thought the voice had something to do with Alex, right? Does that mean you can get Alex to explain some stuff about the voice?"

"As much as I'd love to upset the person who seems to be the mastermind behind all of this, I think we should focus on saving everyone else first," Phil replied.

"Save everyone else?" Percy asked. "I thought only Nate, Phil, Jack, and I were captured. Nate and Phil are here, so shouldn't that just leave Jack? I assumed everyone else was looking for him while you guys came to get me."

"Actually, as far as we know, everyone who isn't here right now has been captured," Phil explained.

"I think kidnapped is a better word," I directed at Phil. "I mean, captured works too, but kidnapped–"

"Does it matter? Can someone just explain what happened?" Percy asked.

Nate began explaining, "I don't remember exactly what happened, but Reagan, Mark, Felix, and Cry essentially disappeared. We still have no idea where Jack is, nor have we begun searching for him yet."

"You're the first person we've saved," Jason finished.

"We still haven't saved Percy," I commented. "We have to get passed Alex and escape for him to be officially saved."

We continued walking down the hallway but stopped once we reached a corner that turned toward the laboratory. Nate peeked around it and reported, "Alex is still waiting beside the door. She probably thinks we're still inside that room."

"Are we just going to sneak out of here, or are we going to take her out?" Percy asked.

"She could have vital information about the voice," Phil mumbled.

"I think I have a plan," I announced.

"What is it?" Jason questioned.

"Kyle's back at the entrance with Nate's backpack–"

"Wait, who's Kyle?" Percy interrupted.

"Kyle is Mark's sword that Dan has been using," Nate replied. "Continue explaining your plan."

"I think we should get Alex to come with us back to the entrance. Once we're there, we can use Kyle to threaten her and get her to tell us what's going on with our friends."

Everyone thought for a few seconds before Percy responded, "It's a good plan, but how are we going to get Alex to the entrance? She isn't just going to casually come along with us."

"I know exactly what to do!" Nate exclaimed before running into the laboratory.

"Nate, wait!" Phil called after him, but it was too late.

Before any of us knew what was happening, we heard Nate yell, "Hey, you dumb robot! A group of absolute morons just completely deceived you!"

"We aren't that stupid!" Jason defended.

"Just start running! She's going to chase us now!" Nate called back as he started running on the outskirts of the laboratory, toward the entrance.