Chapter 18

(The tag thing is at the bottom)

Dan's POV

Nate and Reagan explained the circumstances that they met under and I started to tear up. How could a dad do something like that? He killed Nate's mom right in front of him, and was going to try to kill him as well?

I noticed Nate had tears in his eyes but wasn't letting them slip out. Mark was smiling at Reagan and him.

I hugged Nate, and he hugged back immediately. Felix and Cry were looking at Nate sympathetically, and Jason looked ready to jump on Nate as well.

However, Jason had a question for Reagan, "So the first thing you told Nate about me was that I was cute?"

"You got a problem with that?" Reagan responded, smiling.

"Hold on," Mark started, "you punched a grown man in the face when you were twelve and did enough damage to be able to get away?"

"Technically I punched him in the temple, but yeah."

Mark hugged Reagan. "You're just full of surprises, aren't you?"

"You get used to it after a while," Jason answered, causing Reagan and Mark to giggle.

Nate pulled away from me a bit and whispered, "You aren't gonna be like my birth dad, are you?"

"Not a chance," I responded, even though I knew it was partially a lie. We were only fostering the kids, so I'd have to send him back to the orphanage after the month ended.

Which was tearing me apart inside, because I'd already gotten attached to them.

Nate hugged me again, tighter than before, and mumbled, "Thanks."

"A-huh. Now let's keep walking to the door. If that's where Phil, Jack, and Percy are, that's where I'm headed," I declared.

Nate sent me a questioning glance, like he was thinking about asking me something, but was afraid to. "What's up?" I asked after we started walking.

"Just a really weird question."

"As I've learned from Phil is not on Fire, weird questions tend to be the best questions."

He giggled at me, "Okay, you're asking for this. If I jump on your back, would you keep walking like normal?"

"Uh, probably? Wh–"

Before I could continue my question, Nate leaped onto my back. I stumbled forward a bit, earning weird glances from Felix and Cry, who were holding hands, and nearly fell on my face.

I caught my balance last minute and stood up straight. I heard Nate chuckling on my back, so I tried to defend myself, "You caught me by surprise!"

"Dude," Jason stepped in, "Nate's lighter than some of the clothes you wear."

"Fight me," I directed at Jason with narrowed eyes.

"Considering the fact that you couldn't handle Nate jumping onto your back, I don't think you'd stand a chance in a fight," Jason responded sassily.

"OHHHHH!" Nate screamed in my ear, causing me to stumble backward.

Felix and Cry snickered behind me. "What?!" I demanded.