Chapter 78

Mark's POV

I grimaced as blood dripped onto my flannel. Felix shuddered. "That was...intense."

"That's one way to describe it," I mumbled. "What do you think they meant when they said they were our fans? I mean, were we famous or something? We don't exactly seem like the type of people I would consider popular."

Felix shrugged. "I have no idea, but that would make sense for Cry. Cry could be his stage name or something?"

Another drop of blood hit the floor in front of me. "I'm not sure, but I'd prefer if we continued this conversation somewhere else. I might throw up if we stay here too long."

"Shouldn't we wait for everyone else?" Felix asked. A drop of blood landed on his nose. "On second thought, we'll meet back up with them in Katherine's office."

"Now all we have to do if figure out where the heck her office is," I stated as I glanced around the area. I couldn't see a wall in any direction.

"Don't you think it'd be in the direction all those people were standing in? Like how an army lines up facing the opponent, standing between them and the place they're defending?"

I smiled but frowned a second later. "Doesn't that mean we have to walk through all the dripping blood?"

Felix groaned, "Yeah, but at least we'll get out of here quicker." His eyes widened. "Shit."

"What?" I hesitantly asked.

"Ethan said that there were three top floors that we had to get passed."

"What's your point?"

"This was the first floor and he said that whatever we had to face on this floor would be the easiest. He didn't say anything about there only being one thing per floor." I started to speak, but he cut me off, "To add, we had to fall through an abyss to get here. How do you think we'll get to the second floor?"

"The only thing I know for certain is that we can't let our guard down. Be ready for anything, alright?"

He nodded, and with that, we started walking in the direction our fans had been lined up in. Every time blood dropped and splattered on the ground, we both cringed. I refused to so much as glance upward.

After we had been walking for about twenty minutes, I noticed that the blood hadn't dripped on us for a while. I grinned. "I think we made it through."

Felix chuckled, "Hell yeah! Now, we just have to find another abyss to fall down or something."

I saw something glint out of the corner of my eye. I turned my head in its direction and saw two shadowed things on the ground in the distance. "Felix, I think I know where we're supposed to go next."

"Hmm? Where?"

I pointed toward the shadowed stuff on the ground. "Ethan said we would find items here too, right?"

I heard Felix gulp before he replied, "Yeah, let's go check it out."

We began making our way toward the items, and as we got closer, I noticed that one was shaped like a circle while the other was long and rectangular. We stopped in front of the items and all I could do was stare.

Felix, however, went to the mask. It was white with two large circles and a line where a mouth should've been. He held it up to his face and looked at me. "Why do you think we were given a mask?"

I shrugged. "Ethan said items were only here to confuse us."

"Actually," he began, moving the mask away from his face, "he said that items we find are only here to confuse us for the most part."