Chapter 23

Dan's POV

Phil hadn't kicked the door in a while, so I assumed he had finally fallen asleep. I smiled and stood up, only to be met by Nate and Jason. They both looked like they had just witnessed an angel descend from heaven.

I sighed, "What happened now?"

"Dude! Felix just took the flashlight out of my backpack and hit a guy with it!" Nate cheered.

"It could've been a girl," Jason added.

"Yeah, sexist," I put in, causing the three of us to chuckle.

I stopped laughing abruptly, "Wait, did you just say that Felix had to hit someone with a flashlight?"

Nate continued giggling, "Yeah, it was really funny. The figure thing was holding Mark's fist and Felix hit it in the head with my flashlight."

"WHAT?!" I yelled before face palming. "Stay by the door in case Phil wakes up. I'm gonna go see if I can help."

Nate began giggling harder. I glared at him and he choked out, "What are you gonna do? Distract it with an embarrassing story?"

My jaw dropped and my eyes widened. I quickly recovered and replied, "At least my stories are entertaining!"

Nate faked being offended, "Oh yeah? Well, who said–"

"AHHH!"

Mark let out a scream from down the stairs. I exchanged quick glances with Nate and Jason before sprinting down the stairs with them close behind.

"Where the hell did Reagan go?" Nate asked as he walked toward where she had been sleeping.

"Wasn't Mark the one screaming?" Jason started. "Where the heck did he go?"

"Felix and Cry are gone too," I observed.

I looked back toward Nate and Jason to find Jason staring expectantly at me, and Nate kneeling where Reagan had been.

"What're you looking at me for? You think I have a better understanding of what's happening than you?" Jason asked.

I nodded my head toward Nate, implying that Jason should probably be the one to comfort him. He got my message and walked toward Nate. He sat on the ground with him and Nate hugged him. Nate began crying into Jason's shoulder.

I started searching for clues, hoping I'd find something that would explain where everyone disappeared to. Then, while searching, I remembered that Mark had the only key to the door Phil was behind.

I screamed.

I couldn't keep it in anymore. I'd probably never see Phil again, and if I did, he wouldn't be the same. The impact of everything had finally hit. We were all being torn apart, being tortured for each other's mistakes.

I felt hot tears creep down my cheeks as I sat down against a wall not too far away from Nate and Jason. I pulled my knees to my chest, rested my arms on them, and planted my head in my arms. Tears dripped onto my jeans and shirt, but I couldn't care less.

I sat there sobbing for what seemed like decades when I felt small arms wrap themselves around my knees. I pulled my head out of my arms to find Nate's chin resting on my knees.

He had puffy eyes and red cheeks but smiled through it. I felt a piece of myself break, causing more tears to stream down my face. I quickly pulled Nate into a hug, letting him cry into my chest. I rested my chin on his head, allowing tears to fall down my face.

I didn't want to let go of him, but I did after I heard Jason awkwardly cough from the wall across from us. "We have two options at times like these."