Chapter 33

Mark's POV

I held up the small book. There was a lock restraining me from opening it. I sighed and stuffed the book back under the bed.

Just as a began to stand up, I heard someone's voice ring out from behind the door, "Why do you need to check all the rooms?"

"Dan?" I mumbled to myself.

"I lost my phone and think one of the kids took it," Anti replied.

One of the kids?

"We aren't kids, bitch!" someone, who sounded an awful lot like Nate, screamed.

"Well, you aren't adults either!" Dan returned.

The door to the room I was in swung open and Anti stood in the doorway. His eyes frantically roamed over me before he motioned for me to duck behind the bed.

Dan walked up beside him. "You find anything in here?"

Anti paused before replying with, "Nope, you?"

"Nothing in Jason's room," he reported. "So, where do you think they hid it?"

"They probably have it on them or something. Will you go pat them down while I re-search Nate's room?" Anti asked.

"Yeah, sure," Dan responded as he began walking down the hallway.

Anti waited in the doorway for a second before rushing in and closing the door behind him. "Mark?"

I sprung up from behind the bed after grabbing the small book again. I held it up. "What the heck is this?"

Anti facepalmed. "Would you please put Nate's diary back where you found it."

I looked back at the small book before mentally cursing myself for not figuring that out sooner. "Yeah, sorry."

"I'm not the one you should be apologizing to, but since you can't exactly go up to Nate and tell him that you found his diary and were probably trying to read, I'll accept it for him," Anti replied.

I let out a nervous laugh before bending down and placing the diary underneath the bed. I bounced back up and looked at Anti expectantly. "What now?"

"Okay...so things aren't going exactly as they were planned," Anti stated nervously.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, we can't just spend our time here looking for Jack."

"I thought our first order of business was getting contact lenses from Phil?" I questioned.

Anti's eyes lit up. "Oh yeah! So, I guess we'll have to at least tell Phil what's going on, but that shouldn't be much of a problem considering he's nicer than me and I'm helping you."

"Alright."

Anti walked toward me. "Remember, if we come across anyone, be sure to let me do the talking. Until you learn a bit more about everyone's dark sides, at least. That way you learn more about their personalities and don't just assume that they're like the people you know."