Chapter 62

Mark's POV

After Jack and Thomas sluggishly picked themselves up off the ground, all of us began walking in the direction where Dark and Anti had taken out the guards. As we walked, we quietly went over the plan.

"Where are we supposed to go while the four of you distract Felix? Where's Percy specifically?" Thomas asked.

"All I know is that he's locked up in the dungeon, and to be perfectly honest, I have no idea where that is," Anti replied.

"So how are we supposed to find it?" Jack inquired. "I don't imagine they'll have a huge sign that says 'Come see the soon to be executed boy! Straight ahead and to your left!'"

"Not likely, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if that's exactly what happens," Dan murmured.

I stopped walking, getting everyone's attention. "I'm asking a question and we aren't repeating what happened last time."

Dan and Phil exchanged glances. I got the feeling neither of them had heard the full story. Anti spoke, "The only way to repeat what happened last time is for you to be upset with the reply."

"Then I won't be upset with the reply, but I need you all to answer truthfully. What the hell happened between you guys and Felix? When I first mentioned him, all of you got super uptight, and now you're all saying that you know him fairly well. I'm assuming that means that at some point in time, all of you were friends."

Silence fell over the hallway. It was relieved a moment later when Dark mumbled, "At one point, yes."

Logan's ears almost seemed to perk up. "Doesn't that mean–"

Anti, with a worried expression, slammed his hand over Logan's mouth. "We aren't talking about the past. We aren't talking about how we know Felix. That's all a story for another time. Right now, we really need to focus on saving Percy. Mark, I promise, I'll explain how we know Felix later, but right now I kind of just don't want to think about it."

Without pause, Jack commented, "If Felix hurt any of you in any way, I'd be happy to slap the human version. Just give me the word."

"I'd slap the demon version if he hurt any of you guys," I added. "Jack slaps the human version, I slap the demon version. That works out, right?"

"I'll have more fun doing my part, but yeah, that works," Jack chuckled slightly.

Dan and Phil glanced at each other with knowing looks. Dan grumbled, "I think I know someone you could slap instead."

Phil elbowed him slightly while Anti stared daggers at him. "You need to stop making assumptions," Phil whispered to Dan.

Dark seemed confused, but shrugged it off and scratched Chica's head. I was beginning to feel like Anti knew something no one else did. Dan was probably figuring it out, but Phil seemed to not believe whatever theory Dan had come up with. Dark seemed to be either completely oblivious to what was happening, or he was simply trying to stay out of it.

Whatever the case, like always, I had more questions. "I know you said that you don't want to talk about it, but did Felix betray one of you, or did one of you betray Felix?"

"We aren't talking about this right now," Anti decided. "We need to stay focused on finding out where the dungeon is. Any ideas?"

"Aren't dungeons typically underground?" Thomas asked. "Maybe a basement."

All of us started walking again while Dark replied, "That sounds like a good place to start. Once we get up here a bit farther, we need to split up into the two groups."