Chapter 73

Mark's POV

I decided that Felix and Cry were probably still outside, so I began making my way to the staircase. As I swiftly passed several lingering people, I noticed that no one was sending me confused glances anymore. They must have really forgotten everything they'd been aware of. Ethan was telling the truth.

I started running for the staircase. If everyone had been freshly mind-erased, it was possible that Cry had completely forgotten his theory. Not only that, but Felix and Cry wouldn't remember meeting me here.

As I pulled open the door and began skipping stairs, another thought hit me: Why hadn't Ethan come with me? Why did he want to wait until he saw us in the cafeteria for dinner?

He might have been in trouble with Katherine. She might still suspect him, so he stays hidden away in his room?

I swung open the door at the bottom of the stairs and darted through the hallway leading to the front door.

Once I burst through the front door, I was met with, what I guessed was, two hundred people. I tried peering through the crowd for Felix and Cry, but couldn't see more than three feet in any direction. I sighed before beginning to push my way through the crowd of confused people.

However, it wasn't long before a women's voice rang throughout the field, "Hello, dear residents!"

I stopped pushing my way through the crowd and ducked down. If that was Katherine and she re-erased everyone's minds because of me, I needed to act oblivious.

I stood up again and tried not to look worried. I glanced around and observed that everyone had started walking toward the back of the house. I followed along, hoping to blend in.

Maybe this was why Ethan had decided to stay in his room. He knew he'd have to blend in and not draw attention to himself, so he refused the idea all together.

As I turned the corner to the back of the house with everyone else, I was met with a stage. I brought my eyebrows together. What in the world?

On the stage stood a woman who looked to be in her thirties. She was wearing a lab coat and glasses, and had her dirty-blond hair tied back in a ponytail.

She smiled and lifted a microphone up to her mouth. "My name is Katherine, and I am the owner of this house. You'll all be staying with me for the time being!"

Everyone in the audience began clapping or cheering. I forced a smile and clapped my hands.

Katherine raised her hands to silence the crowd. Once everyone was quiet, she continued, "I know all of you are very confused right now, and that you remember nothing besides your name. Not long ago, I was in the same situation. However, as is my duty, I will help every one of you to retrieve your lost memories and return you safely to the world in which you belong!"

The crowd went berserk with excitement. I rolled my eyes. I wasn't sure if I completely trusted Ethan yet, but something was definitely off about Katherine.

Before I could contemplate much further, someone in the audience yelled, "If you're the one in charge, shouldn't you at least give us an explanation?!"

Katherine's smile faltered for a moment, but she quickly regained it. "I am unsure of exactly what happened, but I most certainly will help everyone here to get back to where they should be."

The crowd cheered again, but not quite as loudly. I stood on the tips of my feet to get a better view of the same man retorting, "Why are you in charge if you don't know what's going on?"

Katherine seemed angry, but smiled through it. "I'm not in charge of anyone. Everyone here can take care of themselves and use right judgment to know what's right from what's wrong. Now, Robert, if you could refrain yourself from asking anymore questions, we could all go get something to eat in the cafeteria." Katherine grinned brightly. "Who's hungry?"