Chapter 39

Dan's POV

"Human experimentation?" Phil whispered.

"Do you think that's what's happening to everyone else?" Nate asked, looking up at me.

"I," I paused, "I'm not sure."

"But," Nate continued, "what if that's what's happening to Reagan, Percy, and everyone else? What if they're getting weird experiments done to them?"

"Nate, calm down a bit," Jason instructed as he walked up to us.

"Jason's right, you need to calm down," Phil added. "The first thing we need to do is find out what exactly the experiments do. Any ideas?"

Silence fell among the four of us as we all tried to think of what the experiments could be doing to our friends. The people in the hoods probably knew exactly what was going on, which only pissed me off more. Maybe the people in the hoods were the ones inflicting the experiments.

Maybe the experiments had something to do with the fact that none of our phones would turn on. They could be causing problems that the 'scientists' didn't even know about.

Or maybe they did know about stuff like that. Maybe that was why they were doing it in the first place. They needed to distract us from the real problem by dragging small inconveniences into the matter.

After several frustrating minutes, my eyes widened. "The monster," I whispered.

Phil's head whipped around towards me. "Dan, you're a genius! Of course it was the monster thing! We even saw it transform into a human-sized figure!"

"Are you telling me that the monster we fought could have been one of our friends?!" Nate screamed.

Jason gasped quietly, drawing all of our attention. "What?" Phil asked.

"When the whistle went off and the monster started to follow it back, it looked at me and Nate."

"What? The monster looked at the two of you before it went in the direction of the whistle?" I questioned.

"Yeah, it almost looked sorrowful. Like it knew exactly what was happening, but had no way to tell us," Nate added.

"Why are we just now hearing about this?" Phil mumbled under his breath.

"Okay, so who do you think it was? I mean, it did punch me through a wall," I commented.

"I don't know anyone who hates you who's friends with us, but that might have been a command," Jason started explaining, "like how it followed the sound of the whistle. It might be receiving threats, thus encouraging it to do as it's told. For example, it gets tortured as a human for not smashing you through a wall in monster form."

"That's," Nate paused, "a really good theory, actually."

"Okay, but who do you think it was? If it looked at the two of you, it probably knows us," Phil claimed.

"Not sure," Nate answered. "Did either of you see any detail that might have given something away?"

Green eyes.

"I don't know," Phil started, "all I really saw was that it seemed to be pretty skinny. What about you, Dan?"

"I saw its eyes," I murmured.

Nate and Jason glanced at each other before Nate slapped my arm lightly. "And what color were its eyes?"

"I'm not sure if what I saw was real or not, but I could've sworn it had bright green eyes," I replied.

"Aren't green eyes super rare?" Phil asked.

"Yeah, that's why I said I wasn't sure–"

"I know a certain someone with green eyes," Jason mumbled.