Chapter 89

Dan's POV

"Okay, first thing's first," Jason started as he walked over to the girl, "we need to figure out how to wake them up. They're probably on loads of drugs."

I nodded and followed him over to the girl. Jason slowly began pulling needles and wires out of her arms, careful to keep her from bleeding. I decided to let him do his thing and tried to figure out what the machine was for.

There was a tablet connected to it. It was paused on an image of the boy and the guy Nate and Jason had referred to as Robert leaning over a fading Mark.

I tapped the screen and a list of options appeared on the right side. As I quickly glanced over them for a "Play" button, I saw a button that read "Bring Back".

"Jason, stop pulling stuff away from her for a second!" I exclaimed.

He tilted his head at me. "Why? What'd you find?"

I showed him the list of options and pointed toward the "Bring Back" one. "Do you think if we pressed this while they're plugged in, they would wake up?"

"I'm more concerned by the fact that one of these options says 'Exterminate'," he stated, pointing at the button worriedly.

I stared at it for a second before replying, "So let's not click that, but what about 'Bring Back'? That seems pretty straight forward."

Jason clenched his jaw. "I already unplugged most of the girl's wires, but I guess getting the guy up is better than nothing."

I smiled at him. "You didn't do anything wrong, you know. I'm impressed you managed to get that much stuff out with minor bleeding."

He grinned back. "Yeah, just press the button and let's see what happens."

I looked back to the list of options and clicked the "Bring Back" button. Once I'd hit it, the machine started making very loud noises and pumped some yellow liquid through the wires connected to the boy and girl.

All of the liquid made it to the boy, but only a bit made it to the girl.

The door to the room flew open and John stood there looking pissed. "I knew that damn kid was lying! You morons wouldn't have left him behind if we threatened to kill you!"

"Damn right we wouldn't!" Jason yelled defensively.

John sighed, "Well, I'll give him credit for being an okay distraction." He looked to his left, and his eyes immediately went wide. "Where the heck–"

"What happened?" Jason asked as the boy slowly began to stir.

John continued to stare down the hallway. "Your friend's gone. Someone must've taken him."

The boy's eyes were open by this point. He glanced around the room and tensed up when his eyes stopped on John. He began pulling out wires and needles, wincing slightly as he did so.

Under my breath, I whispered, "Jason, get behind me and help both teenagers."

He obliged, slowly shuffling behind me toward the boy. I took a step toward John and took a deep breath. "John, as nicely as possible, I'm asking you to leave."

He looked back to me. "Excuse me?"

"Leave."

His line of vision moved to the boy who was now sitting up, holding his head. Once Jason had removed the last of the wires from the boy's arm, he rolled off the bed, practically giving Jason a heart attack.

He sprung up off the ground a second later. He glanced at the girl and I noticed his face pale slightly. He shook it off and glared at John. "Hey, Dickhead."