Chapter 40

Mark's POV

I bolted upright on the air mattress and fell off of it onto the floor. Jack's locked up?

My eyes frantically searched the room looking for Anti, but I didn't see him on his bed. I threw the covers off of myself and dashed to his bed, crashing into a bookshelf on my way. Books spilled onto the floor and I hurriedly grabbed them and packed them back on the bookshelf.

I noticed a small light illuminating the room from beside Anti's bed. After approaching it, I figured out it was an oddly shaped alarm clock. According to it, it was three in the morning.

Where the heck was Anti?

Before I fell asleep, he had mentioned something about waiting for Dark with Dan and Phil. Had Dark never made it back here?

I began walking toward the door before realizing I couldn't leave. If Dark was here and I ran into him without Anti to help explain or cover for me, I was in for it. I sighed and stumbled back toward Anti's bed in the dark.

I sat on his bed and looked down at the air mattress. Sleeping probably would have been the best thing for me to do, but I knew I wouldn't be able to fall asleep due to anxiousness.

Why hadn't Anti come back? I wasn't really listening when he explained what he was doing, but I was pretty sure it wasn't supposed to take this long. Then again, I didn't know what time it was when he left, so for all I knew, he could have just been gone for twenty minutes.

Or he could have been gone for six hours.

I shook my head, trying to clear it. He was probably fine, and I'd be fine too if I just went back to sleep.

After my eyes had adjusted to the darkness, I glanced around his room. I was still unsure of whether to trust Anti or not about Felix. Would Felix really have died that quickly? And I was pretty sure demon Dan and Phil knew something about the topic as well. They both froze up when I brought it up. It didn't seem like they simply didn't know who he was.

Maybe Nate and Jason would be able to tell me something about it.

This idea brought another thought to my head. Where were Reagan and Percy? If the demon versions of ourselves knew the same people as the human versions, then everyone in the building should know Reagan and Percy.

Maybe Reagan, Percy, and Felix were all somehow connected. If I found one, I'd find the rest? However, if Felix was really dead–

My thoughts were interrupted by the door to Anti's room opening slowly, letting in a small amount of light.

He was still wearing what he had been wearing all day. The only thing that changed was his hair being messed up. He rubbed his face as he silently closed the door behind him.

When he turned around and saw me on his bed, he let out a short shriek. He calmed down a bit after realizing it was me. "What are you doing on my bed? And why are you awake?"

"I woke up around three according to that alarm clock–"

"I don't have an alarm clock in my room," Anti stated tiredly.

"Yeah you do, it's right here," I returned, pointing toward the strangely shaped alarm clock.

Anti's eyes widened slightly. "Mark, that's not an alarm clock. That's...well, a timer, I guess."

"A timer?" I asked. "A timer for what?"

"It's," he paused, as if contemplating whether or not to tell me, "It really isn't that important. You should be back up to the human world before anything happenings with it, so don't worry."