Chapter 98

Dan's POV

A bright light from one of the vehicles shined at all of us in the alleyway. Kyle looked back at us after he fell on the ground. He looked terrified of something.

There was an announcement that made it sound like all of us were about to be arrested, which didn't make any sense because we literally just got here.

Phil grabbed my hand and squeezed it, but he wasn't looking at me. He was watching Mark nervously searching for Jack.

Kyle slowly stood up and seemed like he was getting ready to walk back to us, but once he took a step in our direction, the door to one of the vehicles opened. Five people in black uniforms jumped out onto the ground and started chasing Kyle through the alleyway back to us.

Kyle dove behind Mark and Felix sprung off the ground. He walked up to one of the charging soldiers. "I don't know what you assholes need from us, but we need an ambulance for our friends here who are literally bleeding to death."

The soldiers hesitated for a second before walking past Felix to Cry and Thomas. One of them bent down and checked Cry's pulse while another walked up to me.

"You're all under arrest for disrespecting the Overlord."

"I'm sorry, for doing what now?" Percy asked.

"You're all wearing colors. To show our unity with the Overlord, we must all dress in black and white." The soldier took a second to glare at Phil, who was wearing all bright clothes. "It's rule number forty-eight in the Coalition Law Book. Not obeying that rule is punishable by five years in prison."

"Five years in prison?" Reagan repeated. "For not wearing your preferred colors?"

"They aren't our preferred colors," one of the soldiers continued, "it's what the Overlord wants of us. We must obey the Overlord's commands."

"Who's the Overlord?" I inquired.

Kyle groaned, "Who else?" He realized what he said a second after and asked, "You all know where we are, don't you?"

I shook my head. "All I know about this place is that we were thrown through a portal to get here."

"Uh, did you guys get the explanation of how time was moving outside of the orphanage?"

"Enough questions!" the soldier yelled. "We're taking the adults in to be questioned. We'll bring everyone who's injured to a hospital, and all the children can stay with them."

The other soldiers divided themselves up and started taking care of what had been yelled at them. Nate gripped my arm, but not tight enough to stay planted with me while the soldiers pulled him away.

Phil and I, with Mark, Felix, and Robert, were escorted to the floating machine. It came closer to the ground while we were loading into it and floated up again once everyone was in and the door was closed. I looked out the window and saw Nate, Jason, Percy, Reagan, and Kyle being loaded into a fairly large vehicle with soldiers carrying Cry, Thomas, Ethan, and Tyler.

There was a soldier sitting in the back of the vehicle with us, so the ride was silent. The only time anyone talked was when Felix awkwardly asked, "So, this car, umm, floats? That's...neat."

The soldier didn't reply and the only response he got from the rest of us was a bunch of confused looks.

Once the floating car landed, we were pushed out of it. The soldiers put my hands in front of me and tied them together with something that was glowing red and felt really hot.

I glanced at everyone else, and all of their hands were bound together with the same material.

I took a deep breath before I followed the soldier into a clean-cut, forty-story, windowless building.