Chapter 19

Dan's POV

We all stayed frozen to the ground, not wanting to move. They said the staircase hadn't been there before, meaning everything on the floor above us would be new as well. They also said that the staircase was where the door had been.

Which meant that Phil was up there.

...and Jack and Percy.

Oh man, was I falling hard.

Something else had been picking at my mind. It was the fact that all of our fans would be freaked out. None of us had uploaded a video—or even been on social media—for the past twenty-four hours. 

It also made me wonder if any of our fans knew what was going on. We all promised not to post anything about what we were doing for the collab, so no one knew where we were.

We wouldn't know if they were freaking out because our phones didn't work. We wouldn't know if they even care enough to be worried.

We wouldn't know.

"We have to find Phil," I mumbled, tears threatening to spill from my eyes. I was so lost in thought I hadn't even realized what I said.

"We will," Nate replied as he placed his foot on the first step.

"Uh, Percy and Jack?" Reagan asked, smirking.

"What about them?" I asked as I began following Nate up the stairs.

"Oh, nothing," Reagan mumbled more to herself than to me. She jogged up to Nate.

There was a door at the top of the stairs. Nate reached for the handle but stopped himself. Reagan's eyes widened as she whispered, "No way."

They looked at each other before gently pressing their ears against the door. I looked back at Mark to find him staring at me. He walked up and stood on the same step as me. "Someone's talking."

"What?"

"On the other side of the door. Listen."

I gave Mark an uneasy glance before taking a few more steps toward the door and listening.

Mark was right. There was a muffled voice on the other side of the door that sounded slightly familiar. I stood directly behind Nate, put a hand on his shoulder, and leaned on the door.

I could hear the voice more clearly now. "Dan. Where's Dan?"

It was Phil.

"BLOODY HELL! PHIL!" I yelled. The tears were running down my face now.

"Dan?" he asked in a voice I knew all too well. He was trying not to freak out.

"Y-YEAH!" I grabbed the doorknob and twisted it. Nothing happened.

The door was locked.

"It's locked," I whispered.

Nate hugged me. "It'll be okay. We're gonna get Phil."

"And hey!" Reagan started. "Look on the bright side! If Phil's on the other side of this door, he's probably fine! I mean, wouldn't he have been freaking out if something bad had happened?"

"I guess..."

"So we find a key to this stupid door!" Jason cheered from behind me.

"Oh great. We're looking for a key in this building?" Felix asked, crossing his arms.

"Yeah, you have a problem with that?" Cry asked as he grabbed Felix's hand and led him down the stairs.

Felix rolled his eyes, smiled, and walked with Cry.