Chapter 34

They still have roughly a week left to travel and Lena's worried. Worried about Kara, who hasn't been smiling as big, hasn't been talking much. Worried about finally getting there and meeting the Danvers, the parents of the girl she's falling for. Worried about her mother, her people, how well Jess is holding up at her Kingdom...

But right now, she's mostly concerned about Kara. She hasn't been able to ask about it quite yet. This morning they had to deal with some of their prisoners fighting with each other and Lena didn't get a chance to ask before then. And after that, they've been on the road. Making their way to National City. Slowly.

And Lena may not be the best at emotions, but she is a Luthor. She knows how to read people. So she can tell whatever is bothering Kara isn't something that she wants to talk about. Probably to anyone, let alone in front of guards and nobles and prisoners. So Lena has waited until tonight, when they're in her tent. And it's finally time.

Lena and Kara have just finished dinner when Lena can't take the silence anymore and nearly blurts out her question. If she weren't raised by the strictest parents in the Luthor Kingdom, she may have. So Lena takes a moment to gather herself, then asks.

"Kara," she says in a gentle tone. She reaches out to take Kara's hand in hers. "What's bothering you?"

"What?" Kara practically jolts and gives Lena a smile that would seem normal to most others, but Lena can tell it's forced. "Nothing, I'm fine."

Lena raises an unimpressed eyebrow, silently urging her girlfriend to speak. Kara huffs and reaches up to adjust her glasses, only to remember she isn't wearing them and nearly poking herself in the eye.

"Rao, how do you do that?" Kara asks, avoiding answering Lena's question.

"Kara," Lena repeats softly.

Kara slumps in her chair. "Okay, okay. Um, can we move to the bed first?"

She flushes when she realizes what she said and Lena can't resist having a little fun. Perhaps her teasing will even make Kara feel more relaxed about talking.

"Usually I don't do that until after a couple of dates," Lena practically purrs, giving Kara a flirty wink.

"Lena!" Kara squeaks out, making her burst out into laughter. "You know what I meant!"

"I do, darling." Lena's term of endearment makes Kara practically melt. "You just look especially beautiful when you blush."

Kara blushes harder and Lena takes the moment to lead Kara over to the bed, laying on top of the covers. She lets go of Kara's hand and keeps her arm outstretched. Kara gets on the bed and snuggles up to Lena, lying on her side and resting her head on her shoulder.

"Ever since I got here, I've been with the Danvers. Either I have been with them at the castle or I've been with them on a vacation. I've never been away from them for so long. It just kinda... Hit me all at once, you know?"

"What happened to cause this?" Lena asks curiously. "Was it just something that came out of nowhere, or did something prompt it."

"Oh, um. I saw a squirrel in the trees and automatically turned to tell Alex. When we were younger, sometimes we would sneak out to the forest to get me away from everything. She could always tell when the noises got to be too much. So we would go to the forest together, and point out any animal we could see. Alex always complained that I used my X-Ray vision and cheated. I did, but she could never prove it." Kara smiles up at the roof of the tent and Lena falls a little bit more in love with her.