Chapter 90

Maggie's breath whooshes out of her as she is knocked onto her back yet again. She lets out a quiet groan at the dull throb of her spine. Alex's concerned face comes into view when she opens her eyes.

"Are you alright?" Alex asks. "You've been so distracted lately, babe. And this is the third time today I've been able to knock you on your back. This isn't like you."

"I know. Sorry for worrying you." Maggie apologizes. Alex extends her hand and Maggie grasps it, using it to pull herself up. "Thanks. There's just..." She gestures to her own head. "A lot going on up here, you know?"

Alex nods. "Yeah. Do you want to continue training? Or are you done for the day?"

"Let's keep going."

Alex purses her lips, her eyes still soft with concern. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm okay. I'll try to focus." Maggie promises, giving Alex what she hopes is a reassuring smile.

Alex still doesn't seem completely convinced but nods anyway. Maggie picks up her sword and wipes the dust from the training field from it. Alex had taken advantage of her distraction earlier and hit a pressure point on her arm that caused her to drop her sword and then gotten kneed in the chest. Of course, with this being a training session and with Maggie being Alex's girlfriend, she wasn't hit too hard, but the wind was still knocked out of her and her arm still tingles a little bit.

Their swords clang together and the training picks up a notch when Alex realizes her girlfriend is actually focusing again. Maggie dodges Alex's sometimes brutal attacks. Well, they aren't brutal attacks with her, but with someone Alex is fighting for real... Maggie almost has pity for them. But not really, because the only people Alex fight-fights are bad people.

Maggie grits her teeth as a particularly hard swipe's impact feels like it's reverberating through her bones. Maggie can feel the thin sheet of sweat covering her body as she moves and it makes her stay focused, that and Alex's sword and limbs coming at her.

But the thoughts of what she plans on doing tonight invade her mind and she's distracted again. She hasn't even asked Alex about having dinner tonight. It's mostly set up but-

Maggie's staring at the sky again, a small cloud of dust rising around her from her impact with the ground. She blinks in surprise, feeling the training sword still in her hand.

"Oh shit." Alex curses and kneels down beside her. "Sorry, I didn't mean to hit you that hard. I thought you would notice it. Are you okay?"

Maggie sits up, grimacing at the dull but throbbing pain in her spine. "Peachy, Danvers."

Alex helps her up again and takes the training sword from Maggie's hand. Maggie stretches out her arms, grimacing at the twinge it sends down her back.

"Are you sure? I can take you to a DEO doctor, or I can check you out, or Mom." Alex rambles.

"I'm okay, Allie." Maggie says, reaching out to take Alex's free hand. "I'll just be a little sore. It's my fault for being distracted again."

"No, I should have noticed. What's gotten you so distracted, anyway? I mean, you don't have to tell me if you're not ready or if you don't want or..." Alex takes a breath. "And I'm rambling again."

Maggie gives her that dimpled smile she knows Alex loves. "It's cute, Danvers. And, um. Dinner tonight? I promise I'll tell you why then."

"Of course." Alex smiles softly, squeezing Maggie's hand. "Where and when?"

"Seven pm, and it's a surprise." Maggie says, her eyes twinkling.

Alex lets out a good-natured groan. "Mags, you know I hate surprises."