The Great Escape

Comet tosses and turns in her sleep, having a nightmare.

Comet is in her room in the nightmare. Marco is next to her, holding a knife, his eyes with the traitorous green glow.

"Maybe Toffee," he smiles, "doesn't need an heir. I mean, you're just gonna kill people. Wouldn't it be better for the world to just die?"

"But Marco," Comet pleads, "I thought you loved me."

"You had your chance," Marco chuckles, "and you blew it. It's been over a week since I said that. Just a week and a day. I've been in this chair, comforting you when you get nauseous each morning, but you just want blood. Why not spill your own? You see that window. Either way, you'll get blood. Yours, or Moon's. Jump."

"What?" Comet asks.

"You know you want to. I mean, it's the only way out. Does it really matter HOW it gets you out?"

"No."

"Good. Then jump."

Comet approaches the window, and jumps, breaking her legs. Moon is outside, darkness in her eyes, and turns around.

"You little wretch!" She exclaims pulling Comet by her hair, to her feet as she desperately crawls away, crying out for help, "finally. After all these years. I'm gonna kill you."

"Allow me," Toffee chuckles, "she's not my daughter after that ballard."

Toffee lifts a sword up, and slashes at Comet.

"Comet!" Marco begs, shaking her awake, "please! Wake up!"

Comet wakes up, and sees Marco. She clings to him, crying. He strokes her hair, hugging her back.

"It's OK," he comforts her, "It's just a bad. Dream. I'm here."

It's the middle of the night. Pitch black outside.

"Don't let go," Comet begs, "don't  abandon me."

"Would never dream of it," Marco replies, "it's OK. Just go back to sleep. I'll be in the chair."

"No!" Comet clings to him tighter, "just... stay by my side until I fall back asleep. Please?"

"Alright," Marco replies, now blushing.

Comet lies back down, cuddling Marco, who lies next to her.

"Marco," she whispers as she dozes off, "I... forgive you. Can you forgive me?"

"There's nothing to forgive," Marco replies, "it's OK. Nothing you could ever do could really upset us."

"Can I leave?"

"Not yet Comet. You've gained some of your strength back, and you're not in any immediate danger, but it's still not safe for you to use magic."

"Alright. Good night Marco."

...

"I love you."

Marco doesn't hear that, as he's already asleep. Comet dozes off, and sleeps peacefully for the rest of the night...

The next morning, Comet wakes up peacefully. She looks at Marco, and for a moment, still wants to kill him, but she decides not to. She slips out of Marco's arms, and looks in the mirror.

She does she that she's underweight, but she still doesn't see the darkness in her eyes that has been slowly fading. There is still a faint glow in her eyes and cheeks. She does see a friend in the reflection, but she doesn't see a princess...

She still sees a powerful queen. She still wants to kill Moon and Toffee. She still wants power. She still wants to escape as quick as she can, but she has, to some extent, accepted how close she's come to death. Over the course of the last week, the others, who's she's been talking to and slowly forgiving, have convinced her of the truth. She's still underweight, and she's still in grave danger, but she's much better off than she was before.