Deadline Part One: Last Preperations

Moon's deadline is today.

It's a beautiful day on Earth. Birds are singing, flowers are blooming, on days like this, Comet...

Is thinking about becoming queen.

"Hey Comet," Marco greets, stepping onto the balcony beside her, "how you doing?"

"Just thinking," Comet explains distantly, remembering all she's been through with Marco. The Blood Moon Ball, being overthrown, coming back to Earth with him from the Underworld. She wants to rule, but wants him to rule with him. In her hand, she holds the book they've been reading. 

"It about Mewni?" Marco asks.

"Yeah," Comet admits, "I wanna rule, so bad, but... I really want you to rule with me. Is that really so much to ask?"

"I mean," Marco shrugs, "I guess? If I could rule from Earth or something, then sure, we'd rule side by side as partners, but that's not how it is sadly. Let's just cross that bridge later, OK?"

"Fine," Comet sighs, "but we'll have to eventually."

"I know," Marco admits, "but for now..."

Marco grabs Comet's hand and smiles, "why don't we read a bit more of that book?"

"Sure," Comet smiles back, handing it to him, "where were we?"

"Right here," Marco opens the book and begins reading, "the day had come. The one who had raised the princess, the immortal man who had taken the throne for her until she was ready for it, had to accept the offer of his enemies to save the princess..."

The tadpoles sleep peacefully in the bed in Ponyhead's bedroom, borrowing her bed for a nap as Kelly quietly closes the door.

"Thanks for your help Ponyhead," Kelly smiles as she unsheathes her blade.

"No problem," Ponyhead replies, "anything for a friend like you, but, where are you going?"

"It's..." Kelly sighs, "complicated. Tell Tad I'm sorry if I don't make it for our date tomorrow."

"Whoa gurl," Ponyhead's face becomes one of concern, "how serious is this?"

"It's..." Kelly sweats nervously, "uhhhh..."

"OK," Ponyhead demands, "what's really going on?"

"I can't really tell you the details," Kelly sighs, "I don't think Toffee would like that."

"Toffee?" Ponyhead asks, "what?"

"Dang it," Kelly mutters, realizing her mistake.

"OK," Ponyhead sighs, "'normally I'd let this slide normally, but now I'm worried gurl. Tell me what's going on. You can trust me."

"Won't tell a soul?"

"I would never betray a friend."

"OK OK. Here's the deal. Moon set a deadline for Toffee. Bring her Star, or die. He's planning to make a deal with Hekapoo and Rhombulus if things go bad, but if not, he's gonna strike a deal with Moon, depending on if she believes him about Comet."

"Why are you going?"

"I'm worried about Buff Frog. He's my best friend, and he has to be  there for his tadpoles. I have to go, just in case Moon freaks out."

"Does Comet know?'

"Just you, me, Buff Frog, and Toffee."

"I think you should tell the others. Toffee is blind. You three can't take Moon!"