044

"And where are you off to?"

Harry's voice interrupted my thoughts. I slipped my shoes and coat on and chuckled nervously.

"Somewhere," I said. "Meeting a friend."

Harry asked, "Which friend?"

I shrugged, "Why does that matter?"

"Just wondering," Harry said, "Alright, then. You can go now or whatever."

"I don't really need your permission but," I said, "I will leave now. See you soon."

* * * * *

I couldn't bring myself to believe that I was actually here, about to speak to Samantha, all by myself. This was definitely one of the worst decisions I've ever made. The truth is, I'm only doing this so that she'll leave Harry and his kids alone. But, who am I kidding?

It's not like she'll actually listen to you, Grace. You think that you can change the situation and turn it upside down? You really think you're going to fix this? My conscience reminded me that what I was doing was immature and pointless.

"Well, it's nice to see you again."

I jumped at the sound of her voice. The woman loved making an unexpected entrance. I sighed, "Samantha."

She smiled, "Grace. How are you, darling?"

"I'm very well," I asked her, "And you?"

"Even better now that you're here," Samantha had a mischievous smirk playing upon her lips, "So, it's no secret that you are desperate to help Harry."

I told her, "I'm just looking out for him."

"Answer me this," Samantha spoke, "Who do you think you are, Grace? Coming here all by yourself to talk to me, thinking you can make a difference to the way things already are? In all honesty, you can't do anything."

"So, you called me all the way over here just to insult me and tell me I'm not good enough? Maybe I can't help," I said, "But, it's worth a try."

"Now that's just adorable," Samantha chuckled and trailed off, "You know, before I came here, I had everything planned out. Then, I met you and everything changed."

"What are you trying to say?"

"I'm trying to say that you have ruined everything, Grace," Samantha answered, "When you asked me if there was anything else I could do and perhaps not take the kids away.. I thought about it, and that's what I want to talk to you about."

"Can you just get to the point?" I groaned.

"I know more than you think I do." She stated, almost as if she was hinting something.

She added, "Listen, I leave soon. But I'm going to make sure something happens before I leave."

"Why are you doing this? Why can't you just stop?" I asked, my voice calm and my tone soft. "Why are you trying to ruin his life, Samantha?"

"He deserves it." She snapped.

"No he doesn't, no one does. Look, this isn't right. You shouldn't do this. Please don't." I was begging. "It's not the right thing to do, I don't understand why it's so important to you."