073

Christmas Day.

My eyes fluttered open as I was welcomed by the bright light shining into my room from the window. Yawning, I rubbed my eyes. Rays of sunlight were shining into my bedroom, and I awoke.

I realized that today was Christmas Day, the day that I had been looking forward to all year. Christmas was the one morning I would actually wake up happily with excitement, it was the one day of the year where I was a little girl again.

I got up immediately, not caring what time it was. I stood up and stared out of  my bedroom window. The sun was shining, but there was snow all around. The beautiful white blanket of snow covered the whole area, making it feel even more like Christmas.

I was thrilled as I watched the snowflakes fall from the sky. I ran right out of my room, and down the hallway. From the hallway, I made my way down the stairs. A feeling of excitement and enjoyment washed over me, as I was ready for this day.

"Good morning, Grace." Mum greeted me, sipping on some of her coffee. I smiled at her and everyone else, sitting down next to them. "Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas, guys." I said. I noticed that every single one of them were wearing similar and colourful clothing. Each of their pyjamas had the exact same pattern and they were all matching. I asked, "Why are you all wearing those?"

"They're our Christmas pyjamas." Mum told me. She grabbed a pair from the counter and handed them to me, "Here, these are for you."

"I'm not wearing these." I said dryly, staring blankly at the pyjamas in front of me. They were all bright pink with the strangest designs.

"Come on, just put them on." Mum encouraged.

I groaned, turning to look at Harry who was peacefully sipping some of his coffee reading a newspaper. He, in fact, was also wearing the strange pyjamas. I laughed when I saw him, "Fine, I'll wear them later."

"Merry Christmas, Grace!" Bella cheered. I looked her in awe when I saw that she was sitting by the tree in her pyjamas. She made them look a lot cuter on her.

"Merry Christmas!" Joey exclaimed, also dressed in the colourful pyjamas. I responded to both of them with a smile.

"Daddy, she's here now. Can we open the presents now?" Bella asked her father with pure excitement as she rubbed her hands together.

"Good idea," Harry answered. He folded his newspaper together and set it aside. He gestured for my Mum to come over and sit by the tree. He seated himself on the sofa, which was also where my Mum sat. However the kids and I took a seat on the floor.

The tree was full of so many presents, wrapped in all sorts of colours with traditional and colourful wrapping paper and sparkling ribbons. I felt myself grow more and more thrilled, I was literally a little kid myself. My imagination took over my mind as I imagined all the things that would be for me.

"So many presents!" Bella yelled, a huge smile growing onto her face. She grabbed as many as she could and ripped the wrapping paper off, throwing it all down to the floor. Her older brother did the same as I still searched for my presents.

"This one's for me!" Joey exclaimed. He excitedly opened up the present and it seemed as if the present was inside a box. He lifted the lid of the book and pulled out a banana, "A banana?"

"Merry Christmas, Buddy." Harry chuckled, giving Joey a thumbs up.

Joey furrowed his eyebrows and had a confused expression on his face. He tried to comprehend what was going on as he stared at the banana. Once he had realized what was happening, a grin spread across his face. He didn't seem like he was faking it one bit when he said, "A banana! Thank you, Daddy! I love bananas! Thank you very much, I love this present!"