Chapter 123: Lesson Not Learned

*2 weeks later*
Lindsay's P.O.V.

It was about 1 am as Journey and I sat on the couch in the living-room watching TV.

"He really can't sing..." I argued for the 10th time.

There was a guy on a singing TV show who Journey swore up and down could sing.

"Dude yes he can! Can't you hear those vocals?!"

"Yes but I wish I couldn't."

We heard the front door open and seconds later River walked in.

"Where've you been?" I asked.

"Just went out for a bit with Candice." He replied.

"You've been spending a lot of time with that chick these past two weeks." Journey mentioned.

"You don't say..." He sarcastically replied.

"You two have a thing or something now?" I asked.

"No. We're just catching up."

"It takes 2 weeks to catch up?"

"Why does it matter to you?" He asked, getting a bit defensive.

"Oh I don't know maybe because you're still kinda in a relationship..." Journey stated.

"Says who?"

"Says your engagement to Cassidy." I shot back.

"Cassidy and I aren't engaged anymore. We're done."

"You can't just throw away what you had."

"I'm not throwing away anything. I'm just taking a break."

"Is Candice trying to make a move on you?" Journey bluntly asked.

"No way."

"If she tried to would you stop her?" I asked.

He paused and thought about it.

"I don't know..."

"Do you want her to make a move?"

"I don't know..." He said again.

"So... You do like her?"

"Maybe."

"Don't do something to ruin any chance you and Cassidy might have." Journey warned.

"Cassidy's already done that." He said as he raised his voice.

"But you've completely given up."

"Journey back off. Don't worry about me and Cassidy or me and Candice. Its not any of your business."

"All I'm saying is don't get caught up with Candice."

"And if I do?"

"You should be asking yourself that. River you're going back to your old ways."

"Oh really? What were my 'old ways'?"

"Not being able to settle with one girl. Commitment issues..."

"I'm still able to be with just one woman. Only that woman isn't Cassidy at the moment."

"So its Candice..."

"You're acting like this is her fault. Its not. She hasn't given me the slightest hint that she wants more than a friendship."

"But clearly you want more than a friendship.... This is really disappointing Jonah."

"I see. Well I'm willing to bet you'll be even more disappointed to know that I kissed her tonight."

He took one last look at the two of us then left without saying a word.

"He'll come around." I said. "Just give it time."

"That's the thing though. I know my brother, time doesn't change him."
.............................................
Riley's P.O.V.

"I'm so over this." I said to Elise and Maddy as we laid on my bed.

"We've been grounded for 2 weeks already and haven't been able to do anything..." Maddy complained.

"I say we sneak out." Elise suggested.

Maddy and I both stared at her as if she'd lost her mind.

"Um, are you crazy?" I asked.

"Look who my dad is... Of course I am." She replied. "If we sneak out and get caught all they're gonna do is ground us longer."

"I don't know." Maddy said. "River almost killed us last time. If we do it again he just might actually do it."

"Oh come on, we're in FRANCE.... PARIS, FRANCE. The city of love. There's so much to do and see around here and we're missing out. Why are you two so afraid all of a sudden?"

"Because we jumped off a bridge into a nonexistent forest, were chased down by an inhuman killer creature, and were almost eaten by a cannibal with one eye the last time we snuck out..." I stated.

"We're safe here though! Guys come on, just for tonight!"

Madison and I thought about it for a second.

"Fine." We gave in simultaneously.

Suddenly the room door opened and Logan and Benji walked in.

"If you're sneaking out we're going with you." Said Logan.

"What? No way." I replied. "We are NOT taking two 10 year olds with us."

"Fine. We'll just tell the adults that you three are planning on sneaking out." Benji threatened.

"Are you blackmailing us?" Elise asked.

"I believe that's the word." Benji answered.

"If you two get lost we are NOT responsible for it." I warned.

"Deal." They both agreed.

"How are we gonna sneak out?" I asked. "There's no way I'm gonna be able to jump out of a window with crutches and a broken leg."

"We can just go through the back." Maddy suggested. "I doubt anyone's back there."

This seemed like such a bad idea but at that point I was so bored that even getting in trouble would be more fun.

We quietly crept downstairs and snuck past the living-room where Lindsay and Journey were watching TV.

Within 3 minutes we were outside.

Lets see what tonight has in store for us.