Chapter 143: Essence of Power

Cassidy's P.O.V.

It was like I could never catch a break.

One bad thing after another.

We'd literally just left the rift in France where River was laid up in a hospital bed now we were at the rift in the states with my baby laid up in a bed all within a day.

At that point I just accepted the fact that I was cursed.

River had gotten himself worked up after the incident and I'd just talked him into going outside to chill out for a bit with Max.

Meanwhile Mara hadn't left the hospital room either. She'd been sitting beside Kaiser's bed the entire time.

She was terrified.

Apparently she was only trying to use her powers to stall Sehrem but lost control of them and Kai happened to be in the way.

Sehrem, who felt fine at first, passed out about 15 minutes later as the effects took longer to hit him.

Then there were two other young girls that also got hurt.

I didn't have it in me to be mad at Mara. I understood that it was an accident and that she couldn't control it but I still felt as if she shouldn't have used her powers in the first place around a place full of kids.

The door opened and Ca'sius, who was previously at a meeting across town, walked in.

"What on earth were you thinking Mara?" He asked, clearly pissed.

"I didn't mean to... I didnt...."

"I don't care if you meant to or not! You shouldn't have used your powers around so many kids and vulnerable people! Using your powers in the rift with the exception of battle rooms is strictly forbidden!"

"I just wanted to get out of here I didnt mean to put a baby in the hospital!"

"Why were you trying to escape?"

"Because you and Cato are putting me in a position to do something that I don't wanna do!" She yelled, becoming emotional.

"And whats that?"

"You only told me that the day would come when Apollo and I would have to fulfill an important mission but you NEVER said once that I could possibly kill him!"

"Because we knew that if we told you you'd back out."

"Of course I would! I'm not getting innocent blood on my hands!"

"You don't have a choice Mara."

"Yes I do you're just taking it away from me! Why cant you find someone else to do it!?"

"Because no one else can. It HAS to be you and Apollo and ONLY you and Apollo."

"Why am I so important?" She cried. "I've been with you guys for 5 years yet I feel like I know way less about myself than before you found me!"

"Mara you're capable of doing it. You're a tough girl."

"No I'm not Ca'sius! 4 people are hurt because of me! Because I thought I could control my powers but I can't! I should be the one laying up in the hospital not them!"

"It was an accident Mara." I stated.

"An accident that has your son fighting for his life!" She yelled. "I'm sorry Ca'sius but I can't do this. I just wanna go home. You're gonna have to find someone else. I'm not as tough as I pretend to be. And I won't be the reason why Apollo dies."