Chapter 142: Never Ending.

Cassidy's P.O.V.

So apparently we had to spend the rest of the month at the rift in Minnesota because according to Cato "We need to make sure you all are completely safe when you go home."

Sehrem and River explained to me more about the rift and its purpose once we got there. We sat in Sehrem's office and they explained as much as Cato allowed them to.

"I'm going to assume you saw all of the kids that are here... Didn't you?" Asked Sehrem.

"Yea I was meaning to ask why they're all here." I replied.

"Well you see, those kids live here. They aren't just ordinary kids, they all have gifts as well. We keep them here to train them and to protect them from the people that are after them. And to keep their powers hidden."

"Who's after them?" I asked.

"People like Peter."

"Why keep their powers hidden?"

"Because if the world found out that people like us exist they'd freak out." Said River. "They'd see us as a threat simply because we can do things that they can't. So they'd try to kill us. You saw how those people on the street were looking at me after they saw what I could do. They were afraid of me."

"And that's why only the 5 most powerful government agencies in the world know about us." Sehrem added. "If other agencies did they'd capture anyone that they thought was like us and they'd start doing tests on them and using them as lab rats. And the only reason why those other 5 government agencies, like the CIA, know about us is because we told them about ourselves. We knew we wouldn't be able to hide anything from them so we figured we'd tell them before they found out and tried to threaten us. They only decided to make a peace agreement with us because they see us as dangerous weapons. And they want us on their side if something horrific were to happen.... Well that and they know that we could easily overpower them if we wanted to. But we're not bad people so we wouldn't dare do that unless it was for the common good of people worldwide."

"So how do you know who's like you and who isn't?"

"We just do." River answered. "Its like an instinct."

"So all of these kids are here because you have to train them and protect them society basically...like the X-Men..."

"Sounds accurate." Sehrem responded.

"What makes the rift safer than their own homes?"

"90% of the kids here had no idea that they had gifts until we brought them here. If someone like Peter were to show up at their doorsteps he could easily take them because they wouldn't know how to use their powers to defend themselves. However, while they're here, they have people like myself to teach them how to use their powers and more importantly how to control them because if they can't control them not only will it kill innocent people but it could also kill them. And the stronger you are the harder it is for you to control it. Especially when emotion takes over, as you saw earlier with Apollo."

"Also, the Rift is hidden." Said River. "Its just like the forest that Riley, Madison, and Elise got lost in. In order to see it you have to be with someone that's gifted."

"Wait then how did Riley, Elise, and Maddy see it?"

"Because whoever was driving the car that they were in was like us." River stated.

"Like us but different." Said Sehrem. "Unfortunately there are some that use their powers for the worse. Those are the ones that Peter's people got to before we did."

"How many of you exist?"

"Not many. Out of 7 billion people within this world there are exactly 28,642 of us."