Chapter 55: The Storm Continues

My heart stopped.

It was like time itself ceased to work.

I stared at River in disbelief. He leaned back against the wall with his head down, refusing to look at me.

"Okay so like... I'm just gonna... dismiss myself." AJ stated as he hurriedly made his way out of the livingroom.

River closed his eyes and ran his hand threw his hair. I still couldn't believe what he'd just said.

"River... You don't mean that." I said.

"I- I do. I do mean it. I've always known that this wouldn't work but I kept trying to convince myself that it would because I wanted it to." He replied. "That's just not how life works though."

"What happened to 'I'm not letting go'?" I asked attempting to stay strong.

"Sweetheart I'm not letting go. You will always have me in your corner willing to care for and defend you at all costs. I promised you that and that's a promise I'm keeping."

"Then why cant we be together?"

"Well, you said that when you looked at me, it was like you were looking into the eyes of a monster. I don't wanna be with someone that sees me as a monster and is afraid of me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming you for this at all."

"Sure seems like it." I responded in a mellow tone.

"I'm not. This isnt your fault its my fault. Cassidy I hurt you. You should be afraid of me. I'm calling it quits for now so that I can work on becoming a better man. So that I can improve myself. This isnt permanent. We just need a little distance for a while because I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I hurt you again."

My eyes got even more watery and I turned my head to hide them so that he wouldn't see how upset this was making me. Of course that didn't work.

"Hey..." He said as he pulled me into a tight hug and held me. "Please don't cry. I already feel like an asshole for doing this."

"You're breaking my heart, you should fell like an asshole." I joked through the tears.

"Stop being a hormonal teenager will you?" He said causing me to smile.

"Why would I stop doing that when I know it annoys you?"

"Touché." He replied as he hugged me tighter.

Eventually he let go (unfortunately) and placed both hands on the sides of my head.

He lowered his head so that our foreheads we touching and stared into my eyes with those mesmerizing blue eyes.

"So, are you okay with this?" He asked.

"No. Not at all. In fact its gonna be hard as hell but I'll push through."

"I know bien aime." He said. "And one more thing..."

"What?"

"This doesn't mean you can go around talking to other guys. You know I'll run them off in a heartbeat."

"I know." I laughed. "I know."

He grinned and placed a soft kiss on my nose.

"I love you so much." He said before letting go...

He was letting go...

Something I never thought would happen.

***********************
Lindsay's P.O.V.
Later that night...