Chapter 95: Evolving

River's P.O.V.

After talking to Joe Mauer for about an hour I went outside and stood on the balcony alone just to take a breather. Just meeting him had me overwhelmed.

I leaned against the railing as I looked down at the crowds of people walking around the streets 12 stories below me.

Then I heard the patio door slide open and shut.

I turned around and saw a tall, gorgeous African American woman. She came up next to me and leaned against the railing as well, looking down at the same scene I was looking at just before she came out.

"This place has a nice view of the city." She stated.

"I was just thinking the same thing." I replied as I turned my attention back down to the crowds of people.

"Shouldn't you be inside enjoying the party?" She asked.

"Just needed a bit of alone time. What about you? Shouldn't you be inside... Entertaining people?"

"You think I'm a stripper?"She laughed.

"Well, I assumed so considering the only women here are strippers."

"No. I'm not." She laughed again. "I'm just here to make sure no guys try to take advantage of them."

"So you're like a bodyguard? That's cute." I chuckled.

"Pretty much. Why is that funny?"

"Sorry I didn't mean for it to come off as rude." I explained. "Its just that when I think of a bodyguard I imagine a big, hairy, masculine, man. Not a slim 5 foot 10 girl in a dress and heels wearing lipstick."

"What you don't think I can take down a guy?" She asked.

"I didn't say that. In fact I'm sure you'd be able to take me down in an instant. I'd be too distracted by that seductive red lip stick and pretty face of yours."

"Thanks." She laughed. "I'm Monica by the way."

"River." I introduced myself in return.

"I know." She said.

"Of course." I sighed. "Perks of being the son of Elliott Carson "

"Gets annoying sometimes huh."

"Very. All the time. Makes me wanna move back to France sometimes. Though that probably wouldn't be any better. My grandfather owns the French national soccer team so the publicity would stay the same."

"Ever considered living under a rock? I hear its great. Don't even have to worry about paparazzi."

"I'll definitely take that into consideration." I joked.

"Please don't." She giggled. "So if I may ask, what's got you out here?"

"Just thinking."

"Am I allowed to ask what you're thinking about?"

"Nothing major. I met Joe Mauer a bit ago. Now he's got me reflecting on my days of playing baseball."

"I don't believe that." She said as she stared at me.

"You don't believe what?"

"I don't believe that's why you're really out here. You've got that look on your face like you're contemplating something. Like you're thinking about a decision you should make or not."

"You're good." I admitted.

"So what's this decision you're thinking about? Seems like its serious."