Chapter 127: Unexpected Comforter pt. 2

Candice's P.O.V.

We sat on the back porch and talked for hours.

Even though we hadn't seen eachother since we were kids, he was so easy to talk to.

It was around 11 pm and the sound of the city could be heard off into the distance. The night was perfect and the sky was full of brightly lit stars.

After a moment of silence between us River brought up something from earlier.

"So what happened with you and Sonny a few hours ago?"

I hesitated but gave him the truth.

"I said something that I shouldn't have said and he told me off, which I thank him for."

"What'd you say?"

Anyone else probably would have lied at that point but lying was something that I hadn't done in years. I hated lying. So I told the truth.

"I said that you had too many issues for me to want to be with you."

He smiled and chuckled slightly.

"Is that true?" He asked.

Which caught me off guard.

So I asked him to clarify his question before I answered, just to make sure he was asking what I thought he was asking.

"Is what true?" I questioned.

"I have too many 'issues' for you to want to be with me.... Is it true?"

I thought for a second then shook my head no.

"We've spent every other day with eachother for the past three weeks." I began. "I only said that to try to convince myself that I wasn't falling for you. I kinda don't wanna accept it."

"Why don't you wanna accept it?"

"Because you don't feel the same way..." I admitted.

"How would you know how I feel?" He asked as he stared into my eyes. "Maybe I don't feel the same way.... Maybe I do."

"Do you?"

He turned his head away from me and stared off into the distance.

"I'm not sure."

"Elaborate..." I insisted.

"Well there's definitely something there. I feel something for you I just don't know what it is. I don't know if its just infatuation or if I'm actually falling for you. Or if I'm just using you as a way to cope with losing Cassidy."

"You still miss her, don't you?" I asked.

"Everyday..."

"Then why don't you just talk to her about everything?"

"Because I know that I'm gonna give in if I do."

"Why are you afraid of giving in? Don't you still want her?"

"Its not that I'm afraid of giving in, I'm just afraid that if I do then the same thing's gonna happen again and when it does I won't be able to handle it."

"River you're a very strong man. You can handle heartbreak."

"No, not when its Cassidy." He replied. "When I first caught her with Max I was pissed. I was angry. I snapped. But this time, it was different. For some reason I wasn't angry. I didn't wanna fight. I was just- torn. I was hurt. Sad. Upset. But I wasn't angry. I smiled the whole time to try to hide the emotions I was really feeling but I was so close to having a mental breakdown. Then what tore me up the most was watching her cry. My heart started to race like crazy. I had to go to my room and count to a thousand just to put my mind at ease. I'm genuinely terrified of what might happen if this happened again."