Chapter 1

'secrets are powerful weapons, but also a dangerous weakness'

•••

It was a beautiful morning in the central academy, the sky was clear of clouds and filled with the song of birds. Dragons were stretching their wings and taking off for early morning flights, while students groaned at the sounds of their alarms going off, signaling for the beginning of another day.

It was the second week of a new school year, and most students were starting off with a nice coffee to awaken themselves. The fourth year students were preparing the cafeteria for an orientation long overdue, and their laughs seemed to spread all over the school, it was a calm morning.

Or so it would seem.

Three first year students were chasing Emma, a second year in the central dragon academy. Said girl was weaving between students in order to avoid the fireball that was coming towards her, the fire smashing into other unsuspecting students, dispersing as it missed its original target. Emma looked back to the three girls chasing her and taunted them, stretching her face to make fun of the fire mages accuracy.

"Get that girl before her loud mouth says anything!" The girl behind Emma shouted. The three girls began to pick up speed, charging their fire magic and finding a good time to use it against the smiling girl.

The chase was on, and Emma used a quick turn to throw off her pursuers, making them screech at each other for their incompetence. The brunette let out a laugh, her voice spreading through the halls in a contentious sound. Turning another corner, Emma ducked behind a door as she watched the triplets fly past her hiding spot, their black hair dancing in the wind as embers flew off their fire.

She giggled, sliding down a wall as she took deep breaths to calm her rapid heart beat. Don't get her wrong, she hated chases like this, but if it had to happen, she would have the most fun she could. Footsteps from beside her made her jump up to her feet, steeling her grey eyes for another possible chase. When the girl saw the neat black top hat on the man's head, she relaxed once more, a sense of safety flowing through her.

"Emma? What are you doing here?" Headmaster asked the girl. His lips drank from his delicate tea cup that was permanently stained with the scent of tea. His black eyes swirled with white looked at Emma with curiosity, looking out of the doors small window for any possible reason she could be here. Emma smiled, trying to keep the exhaustion at a minimum.

"Just staying alive after a chase. The fire triplets really do like running for all they know. I should tell them to go into track and field." Emma joked, looking out the door for any signs of the three. The headmaster let out a large sigh, opening the door and walking with Emma through the hallways.

"I don't understand how you manage to get in so much trouble Emma, I'm telling you to make some friends so you're not constantly being a target for others." The headmaster pleaded. Emma shrugged, eyeing any student who got too close to her.

"You know exactly why most don't like me," She said pointing to her grey eyes. "Being the only one without magic in this magically academic school it's like cheating. I got in here not for my magic, but for connections, and you know that fully well." Students tried to listen in, but the headmasters eyes flashed, a small white barrier shone around the two, trapping their conversation inside.

"When your parents died I took you in Emma, I couldn't leave you alone, and you know that." The headmaster said with sympathy. Emma sighed, not wanting to argue with the headmaster.

"I know, and I can't thank you enough, but I don't understand why some people have to be so fearful of my eyes."

"I don't get why they're scared of them either, your eyes are beautiful." The man complemented. Emma playfully punched the headmaster, and laughed a bit with him, calming her nerves. The two stopped at a wooden door with the smell of books coming from inside. The magic barrier created by the headmaster was let down, and Emma thanked him, briefly flashing him a smile before walking into a class.