32. Burning Feathers

1029 Words excluding (A/N)~ I don't own Magic Kaito~ I really wish I did though...

It was so hard stopping myself from posting this part early~

★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡
~Yay 5K Views~
★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡

'I don't want to die like this...'

Kaito closed his eyes, he had no reason to keep them open if he couldn't see. He set his focus on breathing, if felt as if no matter how hard he tried, he wasn't getting enough air.

'At least suffocation should be less painful than burning? I hope so'

*

Shinichi glanced towards his unexpected companion, smoke burning his eyes, he could barely breathe and his vision was wavering.

'Oh I'm hallucinating...'

The last thing the sleuth saw before losing consciousness was a swirl of black feathers and a flash of white.

*

When the smoke seemed to abruptly stop, Saguru took a few tentative steps towards the building. Unsure as to why the flames would suddenly be quenched.

'Maybe the warehouse's fire prevention system kicked in? No, I doubt the system would be that delayed and then put out a fire so swiftly'

Making up his mind, the blond took off towards the warehouse, not wanting to waste any time. The suspicious way in how the fire suddenly stopped made him think of the magician and his weird antics.

'Kaito probably uses some of his odd tricks to put out the fire'

A small smile played on his lips as he recalled how the magician had once filled their entire classroom with foam. Thankfully Saguru had been busy with a case that day and had only heard the stories on how the foam had kept on expanding.

*

From the way the smoke lingered and had stained the walls, the blond could easily follow the trail towards the source. He'd covered his mouth and nose with a handkerchief to help filter the air, his eyes stung.

*

Saguru let out a soft hiss as he yanked his hand away from the metal doorknob, he'd almost burnt himself on it before noticing the heat. He paused for a few moments to listen for the sound of fire burning. When he heard none, he raised his foot and kicked down the wooden door, thankful for its old age and weakened support. The sudden wall of smoke and air rushing outwards promptly knocked him off his feet. The change of air pressure from the sudden large exit had caused the escaping smoke to smack him and stain his entire front black.

'This was the room of the fire's origin...'

When he stepped into the room he was confused, there was a giant hole in the ground, when he looked down into it fear flooded him.

"Kaito!" He called, recognizing the wings on one of the soot coloured figures. Golden eyes frantically darted about, looking for a way to safely get into the pit. When he spotted a metal ladder he bolted towards it, only to burn his hands when he took hold of it. "Gah!" Mentally berating himself for not figuring that a metal ladder would be hot, he shucked off his shirt and covered his hands with it.

'Why is he in a room like this? And who is the other person who's restrained? If anything, Kaito should be the one who they restrained'

He could still feel the heat radiating through the shirt but it was bearable as he lowered the ladder before swiftly stepping down it and running over towards his friend.

"Kaito?" Saguru called, fear lacing his voice as he nudged the crumpled form after checking for a pulse, it took a few moments to realize that he was naked. He covered the teen's private area with his shirt before trailing his fingers gently over the head wound.

'Dear god...'

Through the blood and sweat slicked hair, Saguru grimaced when he located the cause of the blood that covered the teen's head. The blond then belatedly remembered the other person who was right beside him.

'He looks a lot like Kaito, is he Kudo Shinichi?'

After checking the other's pulse and being unable to undo the bindings, the blond turned back towards his friend. "Kaito wake up, you need to hide your wings" Saguru hissed, remembering that their time was limited. When the boy gave no response he let out a frustrated hiss as he leaned down towards his ear. "I've got you Kid" He hissed, hoping to trigger the thief's flight instincts. Kaito didn't twitch.

"Hakuba-kun?" Shinichi's voice was scratchy and felt raw. The blond froze, turning his fearful gaze towards the other detective.

'He's seen Kaito's wings...'

"Kudo-kun..." Saguru breathed.

The sleuth glanced towards the winged teen, his head pounding as he thought up a plan. "I'm Kuroba, he's me, call Hakase, he can get him proper help" Shinichi breathed, everything hurt, but he had to stay conscious for just a little longer.

"What?..." The blond questioned clearly confused, he knew the number from previous interactions with the detective. He just didn't understand why he needed to call him.

"Similar enough appearance that a mistake in identity wouldn't be odd—" Shinichi's voice trailed off as a bout of coughs watched his body. He took a shuddering breath before continuing. "Hakase and friend can help until wings are hidden, then hospital..." Blue eyes fluttered closed, the teen having no more reason to force himself awake.

'He needs help, I'll have to trust him'

He knew Shinichi was a generally good person, one who genuinely valued life. Saguru have the unconscious Shinichi one last glance before scooping Kaito up into his arms, he was unable to help the sleuth, but he could help Kaito.

*

'Where?'

Saguru paused in carrying the teen up the stairs when he felt the magician's breathing change. Kaito was awake.

"Kaito..." Saguru breathed, relieved that the magician had regained consciousness.

'Who?...'

"Sa—" Kaito coughed at the strain trying to speak caused him, his head swimming at the jolts caused by his coughing.

"Kaito put your wings away please, you need a hospital" The magician blinked blankly.

'Wings?... Oh wings!'

He hadn't even realized he'd let them out, with a weary sigh he pulled them in, a wave of nausea hit him as he did so. "Puke" Kaito choked out.

"Puke?...Ah!" Saguru swiftly put Kaito down and looked away as the teen emptied the contents of his stomach.

Me: that's the end of the chappy~ hope you enjoyed~ how did the fire get put out? You'll find out eventually~

Have you guys ever read a detective Conan fanfic that involved cows falling from the sky? And the cows are stuffed with chopped up human body parts? I can't find it to reread •^• I think it was on fanfiction.net

After reading so many fanfics it's hard to keep things straight sometimes >~<