14.

Eddy stared at the ceiling, feeling like an elephant was standing on his chest. His eyes were sore and red from all the crying, but the rivers had dried out now, leaving only tracks down his cheeks. For hours he had just lied there, allowing his thoughts to consume him, allowing himself to spiral down into a black pit of negativity and hurt.

It wasn't until daylight peeked into his room between the curtains he realized he hadn't heard from him. Not a text, not a call. It was nearing the time they were supposed to meet to do dome more work. Just the thought of it made Eddy want to puke. He couldn't do it today.

The A sounding through his phone as he held his phone to his ear, waiting to hear Brett's voice in the other end felt like it was making fun of him. Brett never took this long to reply and Eddy's gut feeling just grew worse with every passing beep.

"H... Hey, Eddy, what's up?" he finally heard Brett say in the other end, followed by a sharp inhale. Eddy grabbed a pillow and hugged it to his chest. Just hearing Brett's velvety smooth voice made him want to cry again. Had she fallen for his voice like he had? How could she possibly not?

"I... I'm not feeling well today," Eddy stuttered, trying to make sense of the sounds from the other end of the line. Rustling of bedsheets, Brett's short, uneven breaths and strained voice. He knew in the back of his mind whst it was, but he didn't want it to be that. "I don't think I'm up to work today."

"Know what, Eddy, tha..." Brett began followed by a choked back moan, and Eddy felt his heart sink down into his stomach, making him feel sick. The image of her lips on his Brett who wasn't really 'his' at all, who never would be 'his'. "That actually is perfect timing. Something just c... came up here..."

Eddy didn't know if he wanted to laugh or cry. Maybe both.
"You're still with her, aren't you?" he asked quietly, only barely getting through it without his voice breaking up. It hurt.

"I swear, I was going to text, Eddy," Brett said, and in the background he could hear Leonora ask Brett to get off the phone already. "It just kind of slipped my mind..."

"Don't worry about me. Have fun, and I'll see you tomorrow," Eddy mumbled, feeling a knot of hurt tighten in his stomach.

"Rest and get b... better, we'll be so behind on work tomorrow," Brett breathed, and Eddy could hear the wet smack of lips being pulled apart after a light suction. It hurt.

"I'll try. Sorry for disturbing you. I'll hang up now," Eddy mumbled as he curled up into a ball on the bed. He wasn't able to hold back his tears anymore.

"Talk to you... ah, later..." Brett half moaned before he hung up the phone, leaving Eddy to sob quietly to himself. Everything hurt.