67.

"So, I'm heading off now," Brett said cheerily, peeking out to the living room with his shoes and jacket on looking all grown up wearing a casual shirt and with his hair fixed. He was handsome, looked very dad-like for the ultrasound appointment.

Eddy hadn't even bothered showering today, not gotten dressed and not had breakfast despite making some for Brett. He had kept up his face, though. He had even managed to say he was excited to hear all about it when Brett came back.

"Yeah, good luck. Let me know if you're naming the kid Edwina or not," Eddy said, trying to make a joke despite feeling more like puking and crying. Brett bit the bait and laughed at the attempt.

"We're not naming the kid Edwina no matter what, but if they can tell I'll let you know if it's a boy or a girl."

The 'we' didn't feel nice anymore. It felt more like mockery, like pity. It wasn't like it was Eddy's decision at all what to name the kid after all. Leonora didn't want him there, which was understandable, but it didn't seem like Brett cared if he was there.

Maybe Brett would've been better off staying with Leonora after all? Had emhe encouraged him to break up with her for selfish reasons?

"I'll be here, trembling with excitement," Eddy said, trying to smile, but Brett was already halfway out the door. Eddy felt his facade crumble when he didn't even take the time so say probably goodbye. He knew he was overreacting, but it all became a bit too much.

"Okay, I'll see you then," Brett said just before closing the door. He had to get to his own house to get the car, so he was running a bit late. Butterflies had kept him up half the night with excitement to get to see the little one on the ultrasound, and selfishly he had kept Eddy up too.

Eddy had felt very off this morning, though on top of his obvious lack of sleep, and it gave his happiness a little sour edge to it. It didn't make sense to him for Eddy to be in this mood.

It didn't hit him before he stopped his car outside Leonora's house what he had missed. It was so obvious, so stupid of him not to notice. A proper fuck up.

He grabbed his phone and opened his messages with Eddy, feeling a ball of bad form in his stomach. How was he going to fix this?

You wanted to come, didn't you? :Brett 09:37

He stared at his phone for a bit, hoping the "seen" would pop up. It hadn't yet when Leonora opened the car door and sat in Brett's car.

"All ready?" she asked, tying her hair up in a ponytail as soon as the door was shut behind her. "Had time to look through the contract?"

"Uh, yeah, we should arrange a meeting to sign it," Brett mumbled, locking his phone. He knew there wasn't time to go back and get Eddy as well without missing the appointment, but he really should have thought about this a week ago. Hell, even as Leonora said he could come he should have thought about it. Stupid.

"You alright?" Leonora sounded genuinely worried, and Brett cleared his throat and placed his phone safely in his pocket before answering.

"Yeah I just... I realized I didn't even think to ask if Eddy wanted to come, too," Brett said as he started the car. Leonora huffed.

"It's not his kid," she spat as she tightened her ponytail. "I don't want him there."

Brett backed out of her driveway, licking his lower lip nervously.
"You realize we're going to be the kid's parents, right? Eddy and I."

"You're going to be the kid's dad, he's not," Leonora said firmly. "Helping you out with the kid does not make him their dad."

The drive was quiet after that, Brett not really knowing what to say. The ride to the clinic was short, and as he stopped the car outside he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. He took it out and read the message.

10:06 Eddy: No, it's fine. Don't want to force myself into your happy moment.