56.

The drive to the doctor's office was a quiet one, Leonora staring out the side window the whole time. Brett wasn't too disappointed. He didn't know what to say, anyway.

Leonora seemed more nervous as they turned into the parking lot outside the doctor's office, and after Brett had backed into the space she looked pretty much about to pass out.

"Will you be alright on your own?" Brett asked, scratching his chin. Leonora shrugged.

"You don't have to come. I'll uh... I guess I'll be done in an hour. If..."

"I'll wait in the car. Call me if you need anything," Brett said, making himself smile assuringly. It wasn't that he didn't want to assure her, but rather that he wasn't all that okay himself.

"Thank you, Brett. You're really an angel," she said as she stepped out of the car, closing the door behind her. Brett followed her with his eyes as she walked into the building before reaching for the aux-cord. Might as well enjoy some music.

He pressed play on Sibelius' violin concerto, looking at the album picture of Hilary Hahn in black and white for a bit before his screen switched off.

...

Brett woke up in shock when there was a knock on the car window and turned towards the sound, seeing a teary eyed Leonora outside. He looked confused around for a bit, still drowsy after the unexpected nap. After a moment he realized he had his arm on the door lock button on his keys and quickly unlocked the door.

Leonora was too quiet for Brett's comfort, especially in combination with the single tear running down her cheek.

"Should I worry about you?" is the only question Brett could think to ask as she put her seatbelt on with shaky hands. After she had gotten it on, she reached into the pocket of her jacket, fishing up a folded sheet of paper and handed it to him.

Brett jumped when a small second piece of paper, which looked mostly black fell out from within the white sheet. He could feel his heart sink into his stomach.

"Figured you wouldn't believe me if I just told you, so I got a doctor's note," Leonora said quietly, but it just blurred into the background as Brett stared at the dark rectangle that was the second piece of paper. An ultrasound picture.

"And... I'm...?"

"No doubt, haven't been with anyone after you," Leonora confirmed, swallowing hard. "But we'll get a paternity test if you don't believe me."

Brett shrugged, not really knowing what to say. His thoughts were only panicked screams, and pulling anything into a coherent thought was impossible.

"So what... I mean... What do we...?"

"I can't have an abortion, but I don't want a baby," Leonora said quietly. "I can't take care of a baby."

Brett nodded, swallowing hard. He looked at the ultrasound picture again. It was clear it was a baby, with little fingers and toes even.

"I'm... I'm three months," Leonora informed him hesitantly. Brett turned to look at her, eyeing her up.

"You don't look...?"

"It doesn't show as much on everyone, but I guess I've... I've been a little bloated," Leonora mumbled, licking her lips. "But, I guess if you don't... don't want the baby either, we can... I mean, adoption is an option, right?"

"I don't know what I want," Brett replied honestly, running a hand through his hair. His eyes kept falling back to the little ultrasound picture. "Can I keep this, though?"

Leonora looked at the note and the picture and nodded.

"I don't want it."